What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it just me or does IPAD2 camera really stink?

Nisei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The POINT is: having a camera on the iPad, no matter what quality it is, is better than having NO camera on the iPad at all. For that, I'm grateful.
Sure, and when standby time would be 2 hours you would probably say: having standby time on the iPad, no matter how short it is, is better than having NO standby time at all? Your argument really doesn't make sense. We're paying a fair amount of money for these things and there's no excuse that Apple's using such terribly crappy cameras in a product in this price range.

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The POINT is: having a camera on the iPad, no matter what quality it is, is better than having NO camera on the iPad at all. For that, I'm grateful.
Sure, and when standby time would be 2 hours you would probably say: having standby time on the iPad, no matter how short it is, is better than having NO standby time at all? Your argument really doesn't make sense. We're paying a fair amount of money for these things and there's no excuse that Apple's using such terribly crappy cameras in a product in this price range.

Apple is able to hit this price point because they went with lower quality cameras. That's the point. If you would have gotten a 12mp camera on the rear the price would have went up significantly. Apple had a decision to make and they went with a lower quality cam to stay at the original price point. It's very simple. If they would have put a better cam in, the price would have easily went up. Some people would have paid for that (you) but the majority wouldn't have. You know why? Because using the ipad to take stills is retarded. It records pretty good video. That's really all that matters. You're arguing just for the sake or arguing.

Also, how often do you use the ipad 2 camera? I used it once to try it out and I doubt I use it more than a couple times a year unless it's for face time and even then I use my iphone for that. Def not enough to justify extra money.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
the camera is a deal maker for me. i use skype in business 24/7 basically, this is why i never bought an ipad1. i for one only want the camera for video conference, which it's more than good for.

so yes, of course a crappy camera is better than none at all. get used to the fact there are other users with other opinions to yours. we're all equally right or wrong, so dont get personal an immature. just no need :)

besides - it really doesn't look uber crappy for general use - http://www.ipadcreative.com/

Last edited:

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
No, it doesn't! I thought that looked pretty good to me!

That's been my point the whole time. I don't mind the quality so much as I'm just grateful it HAS a camera of SOME kind, at the same price point as the original iPad, too.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Trky said:
Apple is able to hit this price point because they went with lower quality cameras. That's the point. If you would have gotten a 12mp camera on the rear the price would have went up significantly. Apple had a decision to make and they went with a lower quality cam to stay at the original price point. It's very simple. If they would have put a better cam in, the price would have easily went up. Some people would have paid for that (you) but the majority wouldn't have. You know why? Because using the ipad to take stills is retarded. It records pretty good video. That's really all that matters. You're arguing just for the sake or arguing.

Also, how often do you use the ipad 2 camera? I used it once to try it out and I doubt I use it more than a couple times a year unless it's for face time and even then I use my iphone for that. Def not enough to justify extra money.

I agree with this assessment. I'm just pleased there's SOME kind of camera I can use as a utility or in-a-pinch convenience still camera, regardless of the quality. Especially with Apple meeting this price point. You make a great point with that.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

netkrazed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just not you. iPad2 camera is not the best thing but for picture taking, I'll stick with a real digital camera or iPhone.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
Your opinion is just that ... if it stinks because you want something different, use a different camera. Apple created FaceTime for video sharing. The cameras are okay for that purpose.

Like I said, I really don't care about it that much. I just think that, for someone who doesn't need an amazing camera, the tablet form factor offers a pretty unique opportunity for taking pictures. You have such a large screen that the possibilities are endless for what you could do with it. Overall I am optimistic, because I have high hopes for tablets in the future and I think that any interaction with the environment adds a new dynamic to what it is capable of.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kevbo said:
Like I said, I really don't care about it that much. I just think that, for someone who doesn't need an amazing camera, the tablet form factor offers a pretty unique opportunity for taking pictures. You have such a large screen that the possibilities are endless for what you could do with it. Overall I am optimistic, because I have high hopes for tablets in the future and I think that any interaction with the environment adds a new dynamic to what it is capable of.

I like the way you think!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swede1 said:
Wow,, you sure dont have High standards when it comes to picture quality,,:) you say you have a 3mp camera and it's set to 1mp? why on earth would you do that ? Memory cards these days are so cheap so there is no reason to skimp on that,, and no photo editing software in the world can make a 1mp picture look as good as for example as a picture taken with a 12mp camera.

And yes, the pictures taken with the ipad2"s camera IS bad,,:)

Just saying,, :)

I laughed reading your reply. Good one though. My reason is because I only have a 2gb microsd card in my phone and never bothered to get a larger one. So now u can see as to why I set it up like that...lol. Plus the pics still look good at 1mp. ;-) I will switch up to the max as I made more room in my measly 2gb microsd card....lmfao

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swede1 said:
Wow,, you sure dont have High standards when it comes to picture quality,,:) you say you have a 3mp camera and it's set to 1mp? why on earth would you do that ? Memory cards these days are so cheap so there is no reason to skimp on that,, and no photo editing software in the world can make a 1mp picture look as good as for example as a picture taken with a 12mp camera.

And yes, the pictures taken with the ipad2"s camera IS bad,,:)

Just saying,, :)

I never meant that editing apps would make them look as good as 12mp cams. Plus not everyone has or cares for that much of detail or quality. I'm not shooting photos of models or for magazines or stuff...lol. Editing apps can clean them up enough, if need be, to make them more than acceptable. Plus ur 12 mp pix are gonna be huge files, waste of space ;-)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
Honeycomb is a crap os?? See, this is why I call you out for trolling whenever you mention android freebird.

There y'all go again..lol

Swede1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
I laughed reading your reply. Good one though. My reason is because I only have a 2gb microsd card in my phone and never bothered to get a larger one. So now u can see as to why I set it up like that...lol. Plus the pics still look good at 1mp. ;-) I will switch up to the max as I made more room in my measly 2gb microsd card....lmfao

:) ok, that makes sense,,:) I think it's time for you to bite the bullet and get a bigger memory card, :)

Most reactions

Latest posts