What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is IPAD the one

smithrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for a tablet device that has mobile internet access. I need to be able to remote desktop over the internet to a window 7 machine. I also need to be able to download windows files from the internet then transfer the files to different PC's and servers without having to install software on them all to connect to the IPAD.

Can this be done easily

Rgds Rod

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for a tablet device that has mobile internet access. I need to be able to remote desktop over the internet to a window 7 machine. I also need to be able to download windows files from the internet then transfer the files to different PC's and servers without having to install software on them all to connect to the IPAD.

Can this be done easily

Rgds Rod

iPad - mobile Internet access - yes, WiFi and 3G
Remote Desktop - no problem, many apps for this - either from a local network or over the Internet. I access my Windows PC at home behind an ADSL router and firewall from the US using my iPad on 3G. (GoToMyPC app - but there are many others)
Download files from the Internet - GoodReader, as well as many other apps - or transfer indirectly via cloud storage, such as Apple's MobileMe iDisk.

I'm sure you'll gets lots of advice - perhaps even too much - from members over the next few hours...

Tim
Scotland

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^ This and more ^^^^^^^^^

I agree with Tim on this along with the addition of a Dropbox account.
I use LogMeIn and TeamViewerPro HD. I have done what you are describing from both an office on one side of the US back to computers on the other side (using 3G) as well as cruising at 35,000 ft on a commercial flight (obviously with GoGo Inflight, not 3G).

I guess it depends on your definition of easy, but I find it quite easy.

OP
S

smithrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Download files from the Internet - GoodReader, as well as many other apps - or transfer indirectly via cloud storage, such as Apple's MobileMe iDisk.

I'm sure you'll gets lots of advice - perhaps even too much - from members over the next few hours...

Tim
Scotland[/QUOTE]

Hi Tim
Thanks for the prompt reply. I would like to drill down on the Download files from the internet issue. I have read about GoodReader and think I have a basic understanding of its use. My next question is how do I connect the ipad to the windows PC ( is there a cable ? ) and how does the PC see/display the IPAD ( does it see it as an external Hard Drive ? ) My main concern here is I do not want to have to install software onto every PC I connect my IPAD to. This process would be much simpler if I could move the file from my IPAD to a standard USB drive.

Rgds Rod :D

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim
Scotland

Hi Tim
Thanks for the prompt reply. I would like to drill down on the Download files from the internet issue. I have read about GoodReader and think I have a basic understanding of its use. My next question is how do I connect the ipad to the windows PC ( is there a cable ? ) and how does the PC see/display the IPAD ( does it see it as an external Hard Drive ? ) My main concern here is I do not want to have to install software onto every PC I connect my IPAD to. This process would be much simpler if I could move the file from my IPAD to a standard USB drive.

Rgds Rod :D[/QUOTE]

In GoodReader - which can transfer files either by USB (cable supplied as standard with the iPad) or WiFi - you select, say, WiFi transfer. GoodReader then displays the iPad's IP number - say 192.168.1.108:8008 or whatever. You then open up a web browser on the PC and type in that IP address. GoodReader establishes a simple web interface. You can browse on your PC to find a file (or files) and then upload them to the iPad or in the reverse direction. In GoodReader you can organise the files in any way you choose - files and folders, nested to any depth etc.

Then, you can open those files in any compatible application on the iPad.

Let me know if you want any further details..

Tim

Scotland

OP
S

smithrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Richard
You mention TeamViewerPro HD do you know if this will connect seamlessly to Teamviewer 5 full version for windows. I use Teamviewer extensively in my work

Rgds Rod

jjhone076

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Life doesn't work that way where a price of something in say Baltimore Maryland is the same exact price down to the cent as say Las Vegas,Nevada

OP
S

smithrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim
Scotland

Hi Tim

In GoodReader - which can transfer files either by USB (cable supplied as standard with the iPad) or WiFi - you select, say, WiFi transfer. GoodReader then displays the iPad's IP number - say 192.168.1.108:8008 or whatever. You then open up a web browser on the PC and type in that IP address. GoodReader establishes a simple web interface. You can browse on your PC to find a file (or files) and then upload them to the iPad or in the reverse direction. In GoodReader you can organise the files in any way you choose - files and folders, nested to any depth etc.

Tim

Scotland[/QUOTE]

Hi Tim
Once again thanks for the speedy and concise answer ( I have been trying to google this procedure for a while now ). Just to confirm, assuming I was trying to fix a lan driver issue on a windows pc (no internet connection) Would I be able to download the driver with the IPAD, connect the IPAD to the pc with a cable, and transfer the file to the pc using GoodReader I am not sure I quite understand the use of the IP address. Is this how the pc will be able to detect the IPAD in a web browser ? (I'm sure I have part of this backwards)

Rgds Rod

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim
Scotland

Hi Tim

Tim

Scotland

Hi Tim
Once again thanks for the speedy and concise answer ( I have been trying to google this procedure for a while now ). Just to confirm, assuming I was trying to fix a lan driver issue on a windows pc (no internet connection) Would I be able to download the driver with the IPAD, connect the IPAD to the pc with a cable, and transfer the file to the pc using GoodReader I am not sure I quite understand the use of the IP address. Is this how the pc will be able to detect the IPAD in a web browser ? (I'm sure I have part of this backwards)

Rgds Rod[/QUOTE]

Yes - OK - I see the problem you are hinting at. Yes - the issue of the IP address is, indeed, how the PC will be able to detect the iPad so there could indeed be a problem here if the PC doesn't have an IP address because of a LAN driver problem.

I'm out of the office at the moment but I'll look into this when I get back. I'll disconnect my PC from all networks and see whether it's possible. I guess I'll have to manually establish an IP address for the PC because, without a connection to a router, it won't have an IP address when it's switched on. But I should be able to manually assign one to it for the purpose of this 'experiment' - sounds like fun and an excuse to get into the lab and out of the office.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
You will not be able to access Goodreader from the PC if the two devices are not on the same wireless network, even if you were to manually set an IP. The local IP is like a house number, it only gives an accurate location, if the two devices are in the same street (wifi network).

It may work if you create an Adhoc network from the PC and then join with the iPad.

The most robust solution would be to jailbreak the iPad, buy ifiles and then use that app to transfer the downloaded file onto a thumb drive.

Last edited:

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
You will not be able to access Goodreader from the PC if the two devices are not on the same wireless network, even if you were to manually set an IP. The local IP is like a house number, it only gives an accurate location, if the two devices are in the same street (wifi network).

It may work if you create an Adhoc network from the PC and then join with the iPad.

The most robust solution would be to jailbreak the iPad, buy ifiles and then use that app to transfer the downloaded file onto a thumb drive.

Or you could:

1 - simply simply use another server/PC to transfer the file to a thumb drive assuming that the faulty server does not have any network available
2 - a bit geeky, but saved me a bunch of time at customer location. Install a bootable Ubuntu on a thumb drive and use that to boot the server. If at least the network is working, you'll have access to whatever you need. Bonus, it will let you backup any files from the hard drive to wherever you want to put them. And Ubuntu 11.04 does support app folders natively.

My 2 cents!

VicoPad addict!

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Richard
You mention TeamViewerPro HD do you know if this will connect seamlessly to Teamviewer 5 full version for windows. I use Teamviewer extensively in my work

Rgds Rod

Yes, I use it with both TV 5 and TV 6. Click and drag is not the best but overall it works well.

Most reactions