What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Insomnia supposed to work with MyWi 5.0?

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MyWi 5.0 is awesome, as long as the Ipad is awake. I set up a network, turn MyWi on and join my Iphone 3gs to the network. The problem is after the Ipad locks and goes into power saving mode, the Iphone loses the wifi connection, as it is no longer available. When I unlock the Ipad, I see that MyWi has been shut off. I installed insomnia and the associated sbsettings toggle. I again turn on MiWi, then I activate Insomnia. I see insomnia is running as there is a new icon on the top tray. This does not solve the problem, as again after the Ipad is in power saving mode, the network is no longer available. I unlock the Ipad again, and see that MiWi is again off, but insomnia is still active.

Is Insomnia supposed to work with MyWi 5.0? It is nice to be able to set up a mobile hotspot, but am not going to nuke my battery with a setting to never unlock.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll have to give this some thought and maybe some experimentation. I have MyWi on both the iPad and iPhone, as well as Insomnia on the iPad and another app called Prevent Sleep on both units.

First however, you say you are using MyWi Wifi, but are saying that MyWi on the iPad is shutting off. When using MyWi via WiFi, MyWi needs to be running on the tethering host (iPhone?) only, and the connection from the iPad is NOT done via a MyWi app. You would go into General Settings and connect from "Network<>WiFi" If using MyWi OnDemand via Bluetooth, then OnDemand must be running on both units (Or should I say MyWi that has the OnDemand added on).

Unfortunately, MiWi OnDemand and Bluetooth tethering is not functional yet with iOS 5.0.1 so that might make some of the things I'd try to discover ab out it all somewhat difficult.

Entering details in STATIC IP settings page might help too, and I'll get into that if necessary.

Last edited:
OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I appreciate the reply, but you did not understand my post:

Mywi is running on my ipad as a tethering app. On My Iphone, I connect to the wifi network that the Ipad broadcasts. This works, until the Ipad goes into sleep mode. When the ipad goes into sleep mode, miwi shuts off. I installed and activated insomnia to try to prevent miwi from shutting off, but it does not prevent miwi from shutting off. I asked if insomnia is supposed to prevent miwi from shutting off.

denovo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hay friends,
Do u know Tether applications other than MyWi? I think MyWi is only for jailbreak products. My iPad is not jailbreak. So I couldn't use MyWi. Please suggest me. Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
denovo said:
Hay friends,
Do u know Tether applications other than MyWi? I think MyWi is only for jailbreak products. My iPad is not jailbreak. So I couldn't use MyWi. Please suggest me. Thanks

You cannot enable tethering on the iPads 3G data plan without jailbreaking. Sorry.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dragon,

I surely don't understand (still) exactly what you are trying to accomplish. But the way it sounds as you describe it, you are using the iPad (3g) to act as the host (that device which is connected to the Internet), and tethering the phone to the pad, using the phone for reading the web pages (again, through the iPad).

If indeed, this is what you are trying to do, it is a completely backwards concept to most of the rest of us who would be using the iPhone's 3g Internet Data Connection, tethering the iPad to the iPhone, and reading the web on the iPad.

Yes, Insomnia is intended to keep the background applications active and not let the pad go complertely to sleep. On my pad it seems to be functioning that way and just fine.

For the other fellow, to my knowledge, there is no application for a non-jailbroken iDevice that enables tethering. For standard devices (non-JB), the legitimate method is to order and pay for tethering from your carrier.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:
OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Brian,

You understand exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I don't need to use the Iphone much on the web - I am just testing the tethering as a proof of concept, as I have no other devices to test with. You stated:

"Yes, Insomnia is intended to keep the background applications active and not let the pad go completely to sleep. On my pad it seems to be functioning that way and just fine." I have no idea if it does this or not. I'm simply stating miwi shuts off, aftet the ipad locks and is black for a few minutes. This leads me to believe that insomnia is not doing its job, as miwi does not shut off when the ipad is unlocked.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is a WiFi only, so I can't say what its behavior would be on a 3g model. I do know that the basic MyWi tethering setting does not work on mine because of that. I also know that MyWi on the iPhone does not turn off until I turn it off - or kill 3g and/or WiFi in settings.... such as putting it into Airplane Mode. Guess I got into this with less than a sufficient amount of knowledge. Sorry about that. Let's hope the folks at Intelliborn can shed some light on it.

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No prob - I appreciate the try. I took your advice and emailed Intelliborn support.

Most reactions