What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is demand for bigger iPad/tablets going down?

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I bought the mini and used it for a few days and got accustomed to it, I have rarely touched the bigger iPad since. The whole point of a tablet, in my opinion, is that it should be be really comfortable in the hand, be palm-able, light, whereas the bigger iPad now feels quite clumsy. To be honest, for all my uses the bigger screen isn't necessary. The mini screen is a perfect size in many ways. Its not too big and its not too small (smartphone size) that using it regularly isn't burden. A smartphone is still highly useful out and about for checking emails, messages, sports scores on the go, etc but its small screen size does not lend itself for browsing or watching video for a length of time whilst the bigger iPad doesn't feel so good in the hand. At home, work or at a cafe the mini makes a much better companion.

I really can see demand for the bigger iPad going down, especially considering the mini is a good deal cheaper, and affordable.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figure it's inevitable that a cheaper, more mobile version of a good tablet would do better long run. That's why Apple ended up making one despite that Steve Jobs previously said.

Some people, myself included, will continue to own more than one size of tablet at a time. Most people will opt for one, and I'd expect the cheaper, more mobile version to be their choice more often. The full-size tablets produce a greater profit margin, though, so you can bet that Apple would prefer to keep selling those, lol.

Bigger picture, the more choice the better for consumers, and the higher the profit margins, the better chances that companies will keep innovating. If profit margins are driven too thin, and companies cannot come up with alternate revenue streams and/or a new biz model, money for research and innovation will dry up, too.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would rather that both larger and smaller sizes existed. Some people like the larger size, others not so much. How things work best for a single person doesn't hold so for everyone, or even most.

Personally, if the mini 2 is not given second tier status, I will probably continue with that size rather than the larger one. I don't find any tablet suitable for watching movies that I really want to see. Yes, if/when I'm in a wad and having nothing better to do, then a tablet is a better choice than a phone. But that's just me.

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with @AQ_OC, Some wants a smaller screen and some wants larger screen and some wants more larger ones. LOL! But I prefer Mini as well, since it's cheaper and it's also a good device. If you want to go to a coffee shop or anywhere, mini is the best option. Definitely so handy :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3, and my wife recently bought a mini to slip into her purse, and to FaceTime her mom. The mini is really cute, and its light weight is very attractive, but the fonts are uncomfortably small for my old eyes. For my wife, who is (obviously) forever young, it's not a problem. Yet.

Also, the large iPad's keyboard is perfectly usable in landscape mode, but the mini's is just too small unless you're one of those thumbs-only folks. My sweetie is a 100-wpm typist, and borrows the wireless keyboard from my iMac when she types on her mini.

The mini is really great for FaceTime, BTW. Especially for her mom, because It Just Works.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not for me. I like big screens and find phones and iPod touches very hard to use. It's not even that my eyesight is that bad, I just like big screens. The regular iPad screen size is perfect IMO. Great balance between size, portability, and quality. But, smaller is the rage so the mini remains popular. Having the choice is great though.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not for me. I like big screens and find phones and iPod touches very hard to use. It's not even that my eyesight is that bad, I just like big screens. The regular iPad screen size is perfect IMO. Great balance between size, portability, and quality. But, smaller is the rage so the mini remains popular. Having the choice is great though.

Have you seen some of those nice really large screen Windows tablets / table tops? I saw one on cnet recently and had an urge. :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you seen some of those nice really large screen Windows tablets / table tops? I saw one on cnet recently and had an urge. :)

If you like Windows 8 (and I know you do) Sony have a touch screen PC with wifi and internal power. It looks like a huge iPad. Saw one in the Sony Store a few weeks ago. I think it was about $1700.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I haven't yet, but I'm pretty smitten with the size of the iPad screen as it is. 9.7 inches seems to be the right size, IMO. Still comfortable to hold and large enough for me to see everything well. Much bigger and it'd be like I was holding a small television in my hands LOL.

Most reactions

Latest posts