What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cydia stock about to take a tumble?

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems that the jailbreaking community and all of it's developers, merchants, and supporters are about to be experiencing a serious lull in business and activity. What's ahead for this culture if things don't pan out soon for the iOS5 (and beyond) jailbreaks? What I've read recently doesn't make me think that the future of it all is very certain.

I'm holding my breath with my 4.3.3 and I'm certainly more apprehensive to add any more apps from Cydia for fear of making the "big mistake."

Good luck Hackers!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am wondering the same thing. Where do you read this?

The future of cydia and jailbreaking is bright. There will always be a reason to jailbreak. Unless apple goes open source. (I wish)

The dev team has 5 exploits for Limera1n devices on iOS 5. So, for Limera1n device owners, the future holds many more months of a happy jailbreak. But if no boot rom hole can be found for A5 devices, then I guess jailbreaking would go away if no user land holes can be found.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see how buying a $1.99 tweak or a $3.00 theme, which will at worst give you months of enjoyment, is making a "big mistake". Most Cydia store products are no more expensive than a burger and fries...

There is nothing new in what we are experiencing here. The same thing happend with 3.x, and 4.x, and now 5.x. It's the jailbreak roller coaster. Enjoy the ride. Stop wasting your time worrying about when it might be over...

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just relax and enjoy your jb on 4.3.3. We had to wait long enough for it.

Jb for ios5 will come when it comes.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is what I think.

In my opinion, as more and more people embrace the iPad, more and more people will be unhappy that their iPad is not a PC/Mac. So they will start looking for ways to mix it up and Jailbreaking will likely grow. Yesterday, I showed Blaze to an acquaintance and it drove her nuts. She wanted it. As we talked about what was required, she was quite impressed with iFile. She jailbroke her iPad from our booth at Denny's.

Frankly, I am amazed that the devs of Limerain, Greenpois0n, Redsn0w, JBME and others release their hard work for free. When cash is not involved, people do all manner of amazing things. My fear is we will reach a point where future iterations of the iPad (3,4,5...) will be impossible to JB. Not sure how, but when it becomes a problem for Apple, they will take measures. Then hackers will accept the challenge and we will be jailbroken. Unless Apple makes jailbreaking impossible because of magic hardware.

What say you, F4780y? Can Apple add magic hardware lock mechanisms that make it impossible to JB?

So let me ask the group this: if jailbreaking went mainstream and it became the hot "new" thing to do and legions of users jailbroke their iDevices, what would/could Apple do? I know it is legal and I know the EFF (apparently) wants the LOC to make changes so iPads are specifically mentioned. I expect strong disagreement with my point of view and I am not saying the sky is falling, just wondering if Apple can come out swinging. But the fact is, the ruling everyone quotes does not (specifically) apply to iPads, just iPhones. And yes, if puch comes to shove, courts might also say the rules include iPads. I get the arguments.

I also know we all love our JB and I am guessing tens of thousands of iPad users do not JB because they think it is dangerous and illegal. What happens when it becomes the 'thing to do?'

I am quite confident that an untethered JB will arrive for iOS 5 and any future releases/upgrades will likely be Jailbroken. Very confident about that.

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All good comments. And I didn't mean to cause a stir or disgust anyone by saying something about this. It's obvious to many of you that I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Should have kept it to myself, I guess.

My curiosity about what's ahead for us in the Jailbreak community has been stirred by some recent comments that lead me to believe that Jailbreaking is going to be difficult to do and even more difficult to "redo" if necessary.

And... my comment about "a big mistake" is related to the possibility of installing some rogue app on the iPad or iPhone which would necessitate me having to try a restore and rebreak. I should be ok in that department, but the sob stories I've read for some time now aren't encouraging.

Alright, I'm over it and back to enjoying what I have now.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually ~ Phil just posted this today!

Matter of time, apparently. but I will only believe it when Leigh confirms this. :)

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...ilbreak-confirmed-iphone-ipod-touch-ipad.html

What if I confirm it? :)

It is true, all of the dev team people are talking about it and saying it is legit.
He wants to make it better, so don't expect a release for a while. Jailbreaks take some time to develop to a public release state.

Just sit back and wait for it to be perfected.

Do you hear that noobs?
Don't bother us about an ETA!

Last edited:

greasemuntney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what is floating around Pod2G has found a way to make iOS 5 a un-tethered JB so it is found now just has to be put to software for the general public. I can wait a while longer till it is final and ready. The un-JB iOS 5 is not super bad but I do miss my tweaks and mod I do. So maybe soon we will have a un-tethered to play with.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some of us are like little kids waiting for Santa. "I, uh, uh Santa? I wanna bike, an a, an a I wanna Red Ryder BB Gun, an a, an a I wanna Mattel Creeple People Thingmaker, an I wanna, a, a umtefered Jaobweak for my uncle Bob. I've been very good this year, Santa. I'll leave you cookies.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of us are like little kids waiting for Santa. "I, uh, uh Santa? I wanna bike, an a, an a I wanna Red Ryder BB Gun, an a, an a I wanna Mattel Creeple People Thingmaker, an I wanna, a, a umtefered Jaobweak for my uncle Bob. I've been very good this year, Santa. I'll leave you cookies.

And that is me. I am still on 4.2.1 because I never needed to move up (plus I hate rebuilding my JB stuff). But now I am starting to need 4.3 and above to update some apps and I would like to try iOS5. But I am waiting patiently for the "umtefered Jaobweak" to come along.

Ok, not really patiently, hopping around like I'm doing the pee-pee dance waiting for it. Checking in here every day to see if there is an announcement.

I just don't want to be too loud or the other kids will know that I still believe in Santa!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What say you, F4780y? Can Apple add magic hardware lock mechanisms that make it impossible to JB?

Since jailbreaking is software based, adding hardware to "make it impossible" isn't quite the correct approach. Hardware can help in the battle of course.
What Apple is doing is making each iteration of both the hardware and software more of a challenge to exploit. e.g. not powering the bootrom when it is not in use, which makes it a real challenge to dump the contents and find an exploit.

But, it's the underlying complexity of the device and it's software which makes it unlikely it will ever be truly impossible to jailbreak. It is more likely to become impractical at some stage, but that is probably several iterations of hardware and software away as far as I'm concerned...

IOS5 is already changing the way in which we mange our jailbreaks, but it won't be the end of them. So says fatboy...

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You said fatboy!!!!!!!!!!! :)
I have wanted to say that so many times but I thought you would give me an infraction or something...

Most reactions

Latest posts