Is Apple Planning to Ditch the Home Button on Forthcoming iPads and iPhones?

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Maura

Maura
    Expand Collapse
    iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

BGR says that it has heard from one of its Apple sources that Apple is planning to remove the Home button from the iPad, and then eventually from the iPhone as well. According to the sources, this is the reason why Apple has included multi-touch gestures for the iPad in the newly released iOS 4.3 beta. They say that the Home button will be completely removed in future versions of the iPad and iPhone, so that instead of clicking a physical button to reach the Home screen, you’ll simply have to perform a specific gesture. The same goes for accessing the Multitasking bar, which is currently done by clicking on the Home button twice.

Not sure how I feel about this, I kind of like the Home button! And it’s always handy to have physical buttons available if you need to do a hard reset. Currently if your iPad stops responding (happened to me the other day - scary!) you hold down both the On/Off switch and the Home button to perform a hard reset and get it going again.

Source: Exclusive: Apple will remove home button on next iPad and iPhone; Photo Booth and iLife coming? | BGR | Boy Genius Report

2. Gunny008

Gunny008
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I don't think they will because what about the people who don't have all their fingers? They will find the multi gestures a challenge

Also, the great thing about the iPad is that it appeals to everyone because everyone can figure out how to use it without any research, it would be less accessible if the home button was removed in my opinion.

3. Sridhar

Sridhar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Not going to happen.

4. newfmp3

newfmp3
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    very good points.

I'm not a fan of this idea at all. If anything I want to see a few more hard buttons. Better for games

5. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Would make getting a screenshot a little more tricky.
    I love the new multi touch gestures - especially calling up the taskbar and swiping between apps as I often read late in bed and double clicking the button can be noisy if the missus is sleeping next to me.

6. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    This is one place where I think the new iPad could benefit from the Galaxy Tab.

[​IMG]

It wouldn't have to have that many buttons on the bottom, but it could have one touch style button that worked has a home function like we have now, but wasn't a physical button. The Galaxy's buttons operate off of a light touch, no physical mechanism, just touch.

7. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I like the INLCUSION and OPTION of the gestures, but to take away the home button is just stupid. A ton of games rely on (for lack of a better term) a-bunch-of-fingers input. Look at the Zombie smash game, all you do is flick upward with 5 fingers or more, having only this option basically renders the game useless in the higher levels...

8. screwdriver

screwdriver
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Not having the button would be nice, less dirt collected.

9. Victguja

Victguja
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Reading all the points of view above I believe having the home button reconfigurable would be the best. I am switching very often between apps and having to click twice every time is really annoing and noisy without talking about the switch that has a limited life ( probably quite long but still limited). I would prefer the gestures but I see the point about having also the phisical switch possibility.

10. Good karma

Good karma
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I would like the home button to stay