1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Is Apple Planning an iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100 / 0
    [​IMG]

MacRumors reports today that an old iPad rumour has reared its head once again, that of the 7†“mini†iPad. According to a translated story in Taiwan’s United Daily News, Apple has ordered samples of 7.85-inch screens with the same 1024x768 resolution as the current version of the iPad from AU Optronics and LG Display. According to the report, Apple is planning to launch this new iPad mini early next year. In the past, as MacRumors points out, Steve Jobs had always said that he thought 7 inches was simply too small for a high-quality tablet. However, as the story also points out, it is possible that Apple is once again thinking about releasing a smaller, and presumably cheaper, iPad in order to counteract the threat of Amazon’s Kindle Fire tablet, which is due to launch in November for $199. MacRumors quotes Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White as saying that according to his sources, Apple is definitely thinking about releasing an iPad mini early next year, specifically to challenge the Kindle Fire. However, White says that the word “mini†is referring more to the price than the size of the tablet, and he predicts that Apple will price it at around $200.

Source: 'iPad Mini' Rumors Revived with Claims of 7.85-Inch Screen - Mac Rumors
  2. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    What?! Now I'm gonna have to get an ipad3 AND this?! Honestly I'm excited! :D
  3. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Could be. If so, it's clearly the replacement for the iPod Touch, the only product in the Apple family where sales continue to plummet. Down almost 30% in the latest quarter over quarter vs a year ago.
  4. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,023 / 0
    Really, jsh1120- I had no idea that the iPod touch was not selling well!! How do you know all of these things?? You really keep on top of apple tech news-thanks for the informative tidbit! I have been toying with which device to get my mom-the ipad3 or the kindle fire. I have read the posts-but still a difficult decision!! Now with this confirmation-I will have to rethink my decision!
  5. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Apple just announced earnings, so sales figures are readily available.

Here for example:
    Apple Struggles in 4Q - Zacks.com

From that link:
    iPods:*Apple sold 6.6 million iPods during the quarter, representing a unit decline of 27.0% from the year-ago quarter. According to MPD data, Apple's share of MP3 players in the U.S. was over 70% in the month of September, and iPod was the highest-selling MP3 player based on the latest data published by GFK. iPod touch sales remained strong, accounting for over 50% of all iPods sold during the quarter.
  6. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,023 / 0
    Very interesting, thanks KayKayKay!
  7. GoPackGo

GoPackGo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Smart move by Apple, if so. I wouldn't want a smaller tablet personally. I like the iPad's size. But I think smaller cheaper ones would sell well.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  8. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +321 / 0
    I'm with Lyndsey. Cheaper ones would sell, impersonally like.mine this size

9. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +321 / 0
    That should read personally. Autocorrect! Gggrrrr

10. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    That's certainly an odd way to put it. If the sales of my product were declining by 27% from the previous year, I'd think saying that "sales remained strong" is, at best, inaccurate even if they constitute "over 50%" of the reduced sales. :)
  11. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Not sure there is a confirmation of anything here. I'm just suspecting that IF Apple introduces a seven inch tablet they'll position it as a successor to the iPod Touch rather than as a "mini iPad." Obviously at a $200-$300 price point it would make the Touch an even less appealing device and positioning the new tablet as a successor to the iPod Touch would enable Apple not to have to answer embarrassing questions quoting Steve Jobs comments about how a 7" inch tablet was a non-starter. i.e. "It's not a mini-iPad; it's a new generation iPod Touch!"
  12. ninjaninja1

ninjaninja1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope not...that will totally kill the excitement and exclusiveness for the iPad.
  13. jwt873

jwt873 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Smaller than an iPad, but larger than an iPod.. Will it be be called an iPad mini, or will it be a iPod maxi?
  14. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I've seen various reports that basically put it in this perspective: MP3 player popularity is going to continue to shrink as more devices (such as phones and tablets) replace dedicated players. Despite that, touch sales have gained as a percentage of iPod sales, so touch sales are doing "well."
  15. matt_90036

matt_90036 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i was looking for a 7inch tablet for a long time. I was going to settle on a droid but if apple produces one with 3G and GPS then I will buy one without thinking twice. my problem with the current size is that it is too big to carry in a pocket and my iPad pretty much stays home. I do drive a lot and having a gps/tablet is a win win for me.
  16. madhatter61

madhatter61 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    As I see it, most of the folks that are posting ... "sure why not, it would sell" ... are not looking at the cost of manufacuring and distribution, problems with resizing apps for a new display size, and that Apple doesn't sell low cost anything... they don't need to. Marketing different size screens is just the competition scrambling to do something to compete with Apple's outstanding success with iPad. Steve already mentioned that 7" is too small to work with nicely. Apple is already offering iPod Touch for more portability. Look at the iPhone scramble, hyping bigger is better ... maybe, maybe not. But what else can they do but scramble. Look at the adoption of iPad into enterprise ... well over 90%.

IMHO it will never happen ... doesn't have to.
  17. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    I think there's a place waiting for you in marketing at Apple. :) Better hurry, though, I suspect the iPod Touch is on its last legs.
  18. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    I certainly agree that posters often underestimate the effort and investment involved in bringin gout a new product. However, Apple is currently selling a 3.5" iPod Touch with a relatively low resolution screen for $200. And that represents a $30 price drop designed to deal with declining sales. It's a dead product and Apple will need something to take its place.
  19. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Lol, I didn't write any of the analysis. I was conveying what analysts have written. I don't care if touch dies a fiery death, lol. I read analyst reports for investment perspective. Some of it is crap; some isn't.
  20. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Agreed. I'd like a device smaller than iPad, but larger than touch. It can come from Apple, Samsung or whoever, as far as I'm concerned, but I want at least the same level of user friendliness and reliability as Apple has generally delivered. iOS 5 has been two steps forward, one step back, IMO, but it's still better than what else is out there so far, for my uses.

I'm waiting on the Samsung Galaxy Note, a 5" phone-tablet hybrid. I might switch from iPhone 4S and iPad then, for on the go most days.