Is Apple getting ready to launch an 128GB iPad?

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicBodhi

SonicBodhi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Why bother with a 128 GB tablet when you can buy a Seagate Wireless Plus for $199 USD with 1 terabyte of storage and pass-through technology that allows you to also connect to your home network? Also includes a USB 3.0 module when you want to connect to PC, and claims a battery life of ten hours, equal to that of the iPad.

Wouldn't that be much more cost-effective than shelling out another $800 or so to get an upgraded device?

MODERATED: No external links

2. tlbaker

tlbaker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:

#42 tlbaker, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    No. 1st, I already have the equivalent of this...you still have to carry this around to use it. It's extra gear. Can't always use pass-through...like when you're on travel and such...Second, there is nothing better than on-board storage. A 128GB iPad allows me to have some things with me that I would not normally put on my iPad because it would use too much space.

Of course, YMMV, so if limiting your on-board storage works for you, go for it. But I won't run out and get the 128GB version the day it streets (not likely). I need to see what else is coming down the pike. My iPad 3 is not a year old yet....

4. Asharp

Asharp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I've read the press release on the Apple website, so I'd imagine that 128 GB is coming sooner than later. Isn't Feb. 5th the official date?

5. SonicBodhi

SonicBodhi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Really, the argument that it's extra gear is a little spurious. A 2.5" drive is not that bulky, and unless you are carrying your iPad around in your hand everywhere you go, I'm sure you've got some kind of a case for it. It probably even has side pockets in it. But sure, if you've got $800 or $900 or more to throw around, then be my guest, you can have whatever you want. Most of the rest of us don't have that luxury, so in light of that I wouldn't mind the slight inconvenience of having to pack one extra piece of gear in my case. Before the iPad, it was my laptop, a much bulkier affair to be sure, so it's a matter of perspective, I guess.

I think the 'some instances' in which the pass-through wouldn't work that you refer to involve using the 4G cellular connection, but in most instances, who's going to use their data plan while streaming a huge movie file? For travel purposes, most airlines offer wi-fi, so for me this is not really an issue.

There is one thing that I would have liked to see included on the model I bought, however, and that is stereo speakers. I'm not sure why Apple opted to put a mono speaker in the iPad series when other tablet makers are selling models that do have stereo speakers. Maybe the 128 GB model will have that, as well.

6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The good thing is, we don't all have to agree on what to buy, because the market is offering us choices. There's no right or wrong purchase, except what works for the individual.

For me, I'm not interested in carrying around extra gear on the go, so 128GBs sounds great. Even more storage would be even better, as long as it fits my budget.

7. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:

Do you understand what YMMV means? If you did, you would not have bothered to write all of this. Do what you want....no one is standing in your way. Just don't expect everyone to see things they way you do.

8. MILJAN

MILJAN
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Judging the price of iPad 128 gb, think they made that memory of gold. :)

Sent from my iPad 4

9. Unleashed

Unleashed
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    This is much needed for the ipad, 128gb of storage would be really good! 64gb is good though so I wont buy it just for the storage, will wait for the next few upgrades when better hardware is added as well as having more storage.

10. tlbaker

tlbaker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    It Is only 100.00 more than the 64GB and the 64GB 100.00 more than the 32GB....

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.