What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Apple getting ready to launch an 128GB iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
willerz2 said:
799 and 929...... Macbook Air anyone?

Yup. That is indeed my next intended Apple purchase. But I intended to do that anyway. 128gb iPads just makes the eventual purchase of one even more likely, when my iPad 2 breathes its last.

I'm heading over to iPhones in a while. I have a question, which you might be in a good position to answer.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd get a 128GB if the price is right. I'm faced with tossing old files to make room for other things on my iPad 2 since I can't seem to let go any more of my apps.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
This release appears to be timed to one-up Microsoft with the release of its Surface Pro.

Are they really concerned with the surface though? It's hardly selling well and appears to be no threat at all. Just curious....

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are they really concerned with the surface though? It's hardly selling well and appears to be no threat at all. Just curious....

Smart companies are always on the lookout for possible threats -- you don't wait till a threat becomes major before you take action.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You are likely correct...however, it just seems weird to add new models in between their normal events. Of course, I don't see a reason NOT to do this...and to squat on a possible competitor might have some meaning for execs at apple. There are plenty of "binary" buyers out there...the only have X funds to spend, so either this or that is their thinking. Some might pick a Surface Pro over an iPad...though, in reality, you get more usable storage on an 128GB iPad than you do a Pro at that level, but the apps are way different (IMO, anyway).

If Apple could put a digitizing screen on the next iPad (I want to use a pen, not a fat-tipped stylus), along with this 128GB, I'd be in hog heaven and would likely buy the full-sized one in this situation. If I could use the screen to actually do detailed writing (equations and such), then the full-sized iPad would be more useful than the mini, for work related stuff. I wish I could see the future so I'd know what is coming down the pike.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I doubt they are concerned, however this is such a simple update - a single chip change in the current assembly process - plus an update to iOS 6.1, why not just add it to the mix now.

kehindekoya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
I doubt they are concerned, however this is such a simple update - a single chip change in the current assembly process - plus an update to iOS 6.1, why not just add it to the mix now.

Is it as simple as that? I don't think so, otherwise .....

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Just like everything else, flash memory gets cheaper too. We shall see.

Edit: and now we see, you were right and I was waaaaayyy wrong! :)

Why bother with a 128 GB tablet when you can buy a Seagate Wireless Plus for $199 USD with 1 terabyte of storage and pass-through technology that allows you to also connect to your home network? Also includes a USB 3.0 module when you want to connect to PC, and claims a battery life of ten hours, equal to that of the iPad.

Wouldn't that be much more cost-effective than shelling out another $800 or so to get an upgraded device?

MODERATED: No external links

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SonicBodhi said:
Why bother with a 128 GB tablet when you can buy a Seagate Wireless Plus for $199 USD with 1 terabyte of storage and pass-through technology that allows you to also connect to your home network? Also includes a USB 3.0 module when you want to connect to PC, and claims a battery life of ten hours, equal to that of the iPad.

Wouldn't that be much more cost-effective than shelling out another $800 or so to get an upgraded device?

That's going to be the next iPad update ... Next week lol.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

No. 1st, I already have the equivalent of this...you still have to carry this around to use it. It's extra gear. Can't always use pass-through...like when you're on travel and such...Second, there is nothing better than on-board storage. A 128GB iPad allows me to have some things with me that I would not normally put on my iPad because it would use too much space.

Of course, YMMV, so if limiting your on-board storage works for you, go for it. But I won't run out and get the 128GB version the day it streets (not likely). I need to see what else is coming down the pike. My iPad 3 is not a year old yet....

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've read the press release on the Apple website, so I'd imagine that 128 GB is coming sooner than later. Isn't Feb. 5th the official date?

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
No. 1st, I already have the equivalent of this...you still have to carry this around to use it. It's extra gear. Can't always use pass-through...like when you're on travel and such...Second, there is nothing better than on-board storage. A 128GB iPad allows me to have some things with me that I would not normally put on my iPad because it would use too much space.

Of course, YMMV, so if limiting your on-board storage works for you, go for it. But I won't run out and get the 128GB version the day it streets (not likely). I need to see what else is coming down the pike. My iPad 3 is not a year old yet....

Really, the argument that it's extra gear is a little spurious. A 2.5" drive is not that bulky, and unless you are carrying your iPad around in your hand everywhere you go, I'm sure you've got some kind of a case for it. It probably even has side pockets in it. But sure, if you've got $800 or $900 or more to throw around, then be my guest, you can have whatever you want. Most of the rest of us don't have that luxury, so in light of that I wouldn't mind the slight inconvenience of having to pack one extra piece of gear in my case. Before the iPad, it was my laptop, a much bulkier affair to be sure, so it's a matter of perspective, I guess.

I think the 'some instances' in which the pass-through wouldn't work that you refer to involve using the 4G cellular connection, but in most instances, who's going to use their data plan while streaming a huge movie file? For travel purposes, most airlines offer wi-fi, so for me this is not really an issue.

There is one thing that I would have liked to see included on the model I bought, however, and that is stereo speakers. I'm not sure why Apple opted to put a mono speaker in the iPad series when other tablet makers are selling models that do have stereo speakers. Maybe the 128 GB model will have that, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts