1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Is anyone like deathly afraid of dropping their iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Boroboy, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Boroboy

Boroboy iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bring mine everywhere I go so I always have the cracked iPad pictures racing through the back of my mind mid air & I always make sure to warn anyone that holds it of my break-you-buy-it policy :p
  2. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Deathly afraid?

I just try to be careful!

If you are really that afraid of dropping it, then get an Otterbox Defender case. I have one of these for my BlackBerry since I work around industrial machinery all day (well all night actually since I work the "graveyard" shift) and it has saved me numerous times.

iPad Defender Series Case // OtterBox.com
  3. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It breaks.. Buy a new one. That's my policy..
  4. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Well of course we'd buy a new one immediately. Couldn't do with the Daily drug.
    But that said I keep mine permanently in it's Apple case as I find it too slippery otherwise and with wooden floors in the house it's a disaster waiting to happen.
  5. StarLog

StarLog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw a case on NCIS last night with Abby holding her iPAD. It was RED Gel style, found out, they can be purchased from Brookstone. around $39.oo
  6. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
  7. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I have the official ipad case. Its no defender otterbox but wrks very well. I doubted it would be good for protection against falls but i was wrong. My ipad had fell down a few times already. The case did its job.
    One thing i noticed about the apple case, is how there is extra material thay goes around the edges of it. This actually acts like a shock absorber or deflector. Instead of ipad falling directly on its edges or corners, which would definitely break or crack it, it now gets deflected. The impact energy is kinda deflected or absorbed thru the flap/ extra material.
    Has anyone else noticed this also with their official apple ipad case? B4 i bought this case, i bought a gel one. That works great also, BUT it doesnt protect the screen. The thing i like about the apple case is its multifunctional. U can lay it down to type at an angle. Also functions as a portrait or landscape stand. Protects the screen and has great build quality. I love the suede feel to it. Plus it gives it a more professional look to ur Ipad. I might look into defender case eventually but for right now, im very pleased with apple case. It does get dusty at times but wipes back to brand new lookin with a moist rag. ;-). Now i cant say this case will protect it from a serious fall, like 4 ft or higher. Not trying to test it out either..lmfao. The apple case does its job plus i have a good quality gel case in the stash. These cases are not cheap. Gel case was $30...apple case was $30. I was surprised to find it i the ApPle store cuz they usually sell out so quickly. I know otterbox defender case is about a lil more thn the cost of both. I always hear so many positive reviews on it. I like it. One thing though i dont want, is to make my ipad too bulkyn heavy. This apple case barely adds any weight or bulkiness to my ipad. Still feels natural. I still have my original screen protector on from my gel case. I got my ipad n gel case in July. ;-)
  8. iPad-Sweden

iPad-Sweden iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Have dropped one of my iPads twice and both times I saved It with my toes, and It DOESEN'T FELL SO GOOD to get one of the corners on the iPad from the hight of the chest.

I recomend NOT to try It, but what woun't u do for the No1 toy.
  9. iceman

iceman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would have bought one of the Otterbox defender cases, but they hadn't been released when I got my iPad. I bought a Candy Street Skin, which is much cheaper then the Otterbox. It makes it harder to slip out, and I think it would give some protection if it falls.
  10. iceman

iceman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, frankly, I would rather break a toe then break my iPad, but maybe that's just me :eek:
  11. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have a netbook case that I carry mine in, so its pretty secure....I only take it out when I use it.
  12. gene91

gene91 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for this thread, I learned a lot. I was wondering if there was a protective case made for the ipad. I should have known there was. Seems a shame to have to buy a new one every time I am clumsy or just didn't get enough sleep and drop it.

I am learning so much in this forum, thank you to everyone.
  13. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm going to get an otter box one day. I'm a desk person now. When I become a field person otterbox come in handy
  14. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    There are a number of cases I've seen which have this feature - i.e. a "border" of leather (or other material) around the edges of the iPad to serve as shock absorber. The current Oberon Design folio I use has this as well, and it does give me a lot more peace of mind (esp in the hands of my three-year-old.)