What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is anyone else having massive lag issues in iOS 7

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I wish I could be as confident as twerppoet but I honestly can't. The thing is the iPad 3 is an underpowered device, it's CPU is too weak to handle all the scaling a retina display requires and iOS 7 has raised the bar a couple of notches.

I'm pretty sure that things will be better with incoming OS updates as well as app updates (I suspect some of the non-fully-iOS7-ready apps are responsible for the stuttering when it comes to app-switching) but still I seriously doubt it will be as smooth as before. I hope they prove me wrong.

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD

My iPad is a 3. It is working well enough that I'd be hard pressed to tell if it was slower. It may be necessary for you to do a clean install of iOS. Sometimes this is necessary. Not everything is cleared with a new install, especially an OTA (Over The Air) install.

Before you do that though, I recommend a Reset All Settings from the Settings > General > Reset menu. This will not erase things, but if there were any settings glitches that resulted from the upgrade this will clear them out. A few people found it to help after iOS 6 when they had similar problems.

I did have some minor issues and lag right after the install. A restart cleared most of it, and the rest cleared itself by the end of the day. That last I'm figuring had to do with the system being busy indexing spotlight search. Another member (excuse my poor memory) pointed out that the new Photos organization also takes time. There may be other behind the scenes optimization going on as well.

If any of that got stuck for some reason, say one of the databases got corrupted and put things in a loop, the lag might never go away without a clean install.

All I can say, in the end, is keep trying. It is possible to have a good install of iOS 7 on an iPad 3.

If you got Apple Care plus for your iPad (I did) it might still be active. You could think of it as chance to get your money's worth.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some times yes however many of the issues are due to authentication on apples servers plus various apps like photos and music trying to up date library's etc. Spotlight also is indexing on the background and for users whom have lots of apps and large music, Picts and data files this can take time which is one reason complaints about being sluggish are true. Many users have iCloud back up turned on so that can slow things down. It is a much longer process to delete and install from scratch how're keep in mind when you sync your back up then the above may still slow things down

Like to have your input after you do it that way

amydaveg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to downgrade back to 6?

This is so slow I can't take it. The keyboard was fixed by turning off mobile sync with iCloud, but everything else is just painful to wait for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As un related as it seems and as a user in this thread already pointed out- apparently switching off "documents and data" in iCloud reduced or removes the keyboard lag. I have no idea why but it is widely reported on other sites that this helps. You might want to give it a try. Make sure you have a back up copy of anything important.

cbreze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided to do a complete wipe back to factory settings and it fixed all my issues I was having including some laggyness. Might help others who are still having issues YMMV of course, but I'm glad I did it.

oldgiteggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My lag seems based solely around images. Photo moving and resizing is stuttering, setting as background hangs and my sd card reader now takes 100 times longer to transfer images. Photos on a 32gb card were being read one per second! I gave up trying to import them and used my laptop instead. A reset maybe necessary, but should not be required?

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Couple of days ago I learned that the culprit of the hangs when you set up the wallpaper is the parallax effect. Apparently, this effect is precalculated every time we swap wallpapers even if you have enabled reduce motion.

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD

oldgiteggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did reduce motions at the beginning, because I didn't see the point of having it. I also found out yesterday that my camera connection kit doesn't read images faster than 2 per second, so on a 32gb card, it took an hour the of through the images. It's the graphics processing that messing every thing up. Irony is that Apple were always renowned for their graphics based processing superiority in the 90s.

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm getting very upset with my ipad, I don't care to much at the moment on the upgrade, as it's causing untold lag, freezes, and general crap response !
Not that old, bought new ipad 3 64gb, where's my money suddenly gone, has apple decided that to persuade people to buy their stuff they purpously make last years models run like crap with an update?

I have very VERY bad lag, utterly crap response sometimes, various setting don't want to work as well as they should , and generally my iphone is seeing more use in comparison .

What the hells going on ? ONE VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER!

Sent from my iPad 3 64gb using iPF

cbreze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm getting very upset with my ipad, I don't care to much at the moment on the upgrade, as it's causing untold lag, freezes, and general crap response !
Not that old, bought new ipad 3 64gb, where's my money suddenly gone, has apple decided that to persuade people to buy their stuff they purpously make last years models run like crap with an update?

I have very VERY bad lag, utterly crap response sometimes, various setting don't want to work as well as they should , and generally my iphone is seeing more use in comparison .

What the hells going on ? ONE VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER!
I can relate to your frustration. I was in a similar boat and getting very frustrated to the point of pissed. I always knew I could do a factory reset, but really didn't want the hassle. Eventually my frustration won out over any hassle and I'm very happy with the results. I can't say you'd be as 100% as happy as I am with the results! but I looked at it this way, WTH did I have to lose? It was either try it or continuing to suffer with it the way it was. I really disliked ios7 at first, but after resetting my pad I realized what I disliked the most was the subpar performance I was having with OS7 not the OS itself. In any case I'm a much happier camper now. As I'm sure you know a factory reset takes you back to factory settings and all your stuff is removed. I personally decided to not back anything up as I didn't want anything from the old OS to follow me to the new one. So I really started from complete scratch. Something to think about anyway. Good luck.

Last edited:

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Weird thing is, I've already done a back up, reinstall iOS and restore, really sucks like hell

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Miffed off would be an understatement . Sent from my iPad 3 64gb using iPF

Last edited:

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apologies for the language :-( but that's how I feel at the moment

cbreze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible that your backup contained things from OS6 that we're not 100% compatible? I've heard this happening before. Maybe you tried this but, did you take time to check out the operations of your pad without reinstalling anything, just to see if it worked better while clean.

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mmmmm, begrudgingly want to do a fresh re install

Most reactions

Latest posts