What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is anyone concerned about 1GB of RAM being enough?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So wait, you have a LOT of apps in your iPad?

Well that explains it. The more apps you have, the more your device needs to process data. Delete some useless apps and keep the important ones. Especially that it can cause bad battery and could slow down your device.

I don't think that explains anything. I usually have over 300 apps on my iPads,

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So wait, you have a LOT of apps in your iPad? Well that explains it. The more apps you have, the more your device needs to process data. Delete some useless apps and keep the important ones. Especially that it can cause bad battery and could slow down your device.
I only had about 90 apps after almost 3 years of use. Right now I am only running about 30 apps after the reset. I don't think that has much to do with it. BUT, moving all the old stuff onto a new machine can cause some problems from what they told me at the Apple store. Best to make a fresh start it appears.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

perfent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You said, "restore the operating system from scratch using their restore program". Dumb question but I want to make sure - This restore must be done at the Apple Store, correct?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You said, "restore the operating system from scratch using their restore program". Dumb question but I want to make sure - This restore must be done at the Apple Store, correct?

No, it's not a dumb question - and no, you don't have to restore an iPad at the Apple Store. All it takes to restore an iPad is to connect it to [the latest version of] your iTunes and pressing the "Restore iPad..." button on the iPad's main summary page.

You'll want to make a backup first, unless you want to really start over cause you think you have a corrupted backup.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't experienced any crashes or issues at all in the week and a half I've had the Air. I close out apps in the multitasking screen about once a day, but I use my Air a lot... Just a few apps though, kindle, safari, tapatalk, nook, YouTube and calendar. I only use one tab in Safari at a time and always close it when finished... Like I said, no problems so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
s2mikey

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't experienced any crashes or issues at all in the week and a half I've had the Air. I close out apps in the multitasking screen about once a day, but I use my Air a lot... Just a few apps though, kindle, safari, tapatalk, nook, YouTube and calendar. I only use one tab in Safari at a time and always close it when finished... Like I said, no problems so far. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I haven't had any trouble either. I suspect you could have more than one tab open and yours won't crash at all. The ones that are having the most trouble seem to get crashing very easily or with just a tab or two open.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't had any trouble either. I suspect you could have more than one tab open and yours won't crash at all. The ones that are having the most trouble seem to get crashing very easily or with just a tab or two open.

I have a ton of tabs open on my mini...and I backed it up and restored to my mini 2...same tabs. Yet, I have not seen a single crash in Safari. However, I did have some crashes after I got all my stuff on the mini 2....the Apps app would crash upon opening...until I reset the device. I also have some issues with Goodreader that came AFTER ios 7. That is irritating as I use GoodReader quite a bit. The problem remains on the mini 2 as well.

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, I hope my good luck continues then cause my N7 2013 used to reboot all the time by itself. Very frustrating especially when it's my main tablet. Luckily that got fixed though. I think with the kit kat update. But that's off topic. The Air has now become my main tablet though. So much so that I haven't had to charge my N7 in almost a week! The Air I charge about every 2 to 4 days. Depends on my usage.

Anyway, to those of you having issues I hope you get it fixed soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More RAM needed for sure. My Air is crashing with more frequency new than any iPad I've owned previously. I'm using it exactly the same way. Even without much or anything else open, my Air crashes.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
More RAM needed for sure. My Air is crashing with more frequency new than any iPad I've owned previously. I'm using it exactly the same way. Even without much or anything else open, my Air crashes.

Not clear that RAM will fix that. It could be an iOS7 problem, too.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not clear that RAM will fix that. It could be an iOS7 problem, too.

As on other thread, IMO:

I agree that iOS 7 needs optimizing. But it needs optimizing because it's already stretching the boundaries of the hardware.

It's sort of like saying you can better organize your stuff and fit into a tightish house, or you can get a slightly bigger house and not scramble to stay as organized all the time. Ideally, you'd stay organized and still have a bit of extra space to spread out, because you're going to keep adding more stuff.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As on other thread, IMO:

I agree that iOS 7 needs optimizing. But it needs optimizing because it's already stretching the boundaries of the hardware.

It's sort of like saying you can better organize your stuff and fit into a tightish house, or you can get a slightly bigger house and not scramble to stay as organized all the time. Ideally, you'd stay organized and still have a bit of extra space to spread out, because you're going to keep adding more stuff.

hehe....we must be following each other around on here.

Most reactions