What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is anyone concerned about 1GB of RAM being enough?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So far, my iPad air has been working great with the things I've done with it. There are some threads on other forums where the 1GB of RAM keeps coming up as a potential problem. Safari can only have so many tabs open at once and then frequent reloading starts. Some people see several low memory errors in their diagnostic logs. The 64 bit architecture apparently uses more RAM so that leaves less for apps. I realize that everyone's usage is different and many won't notice this. I just wonder if it's a concern going forward though as more and more new apps come out that will take advantage of the architecture updates.

I do wish Apple would have went with 2GB of RAM but I'm sure that would have forced them to compromise on weight or some other design factor.

Thoughts?

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a fair question. In all my 30 plus years of working with Apple computers I've always been able to add RAM by purchasing the appropriate chips. Not so with the iPad. Having just graduated from the first release iPad to the Air I'm feeling pretty free with the Air's 1024 of RAM. However, I also got accustomed to shutting down loaded Apps on my original iPad using the double click on the Home button and deleting unused Apps from the list that appeared at the bottom of the screen. This trick no longer works on the Air. Has anyone here figured out how to do this on the Air?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's a fair question. In all my 30 plus years of working with Apple computers I've always been able to add RAM by purchasing the appropriate chips. Not so with the iPad. Having just graduated from the first release iPad to the Air I'm feeling pretty free with the Air's 1024 of RAM. However, I also got accustomed to shutting down loaded Apps on my original iPad using the double click on the Home button and deleting unused Apps from the list that appeared at the bottom of the screen. This trick no longer works on the Air. Has anyone here figured out how to do this on the Air?
Double tap the home button and swipe up on the app preview pane. It's not just the Air, but in fact iOS 7.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have only 2 apps causing issues. Pulse and one safe. I have no other apps crashing and the crashes documented are minor. I suspect compatible issues which should be corrected in updates

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Double tap the home button and swipe up on the app preview pane. It's not just the Air, but in fact iOS 7.

Well shoot, Moonlit, that was too easy. Thanks for the tip. Even with the added memory I intend to continue to close out those occasionally used Apps.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm starting to get irritated by the low memory crashes! I thought it could be prevented by closing most of the running apps, but it just happened again with only. 3-4 apps open. This never happened on my ipad2. If it keeps up, I will be packing up the air and returning it to Apple within the 30 days! Glad I kept my old ipad2.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im a little concerned about this iPad. I went from an iPad 1st gen to the 2 and was quite amazed and pleased with performance difference. Ive now upgraded to the Air and admit I'm quite pleased with the sharpness of the screen and its weight and new size but, not so sure on performance. My internet connection isn't the greatest so the air doesn't perform any faster their but i did a side by side test of the 2 and air with just opening apps and docs and i have mixed thoughts. In some instances the air was able to open apps faster but in other the iPad 2 had displayed pdf files as i scrolled through those apps- faster. That and pages, keynote and numbers have been a little disappointing in the fact that scrolling though my docs with the air its still supper jittery and no smoother than the iPad 2. Ive yet to do any resets so ill try that and I'm hoping that its still finishing the restore from backup in the background causing it to perform like it does but i don't think thats the case because that would cause our internet to lag which it isn't anymore. I don't know how long the return policy is but ill keep my iPad 2 around for awhile just in case i decide its not worth it. I sure would miss the screen though.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im a little concerned about this iPad. I went from an iPad 1st gen to the 2 and was quite amazed and pleased with performance difference. Ive now upgraded to the Air and admit I'm quite pleased with the sharpness of the screen and its weight and new size but, not so sure on performance. My internet connection isn't the greatest so the air doesn't perform any faster their but i did a side by side test of the 2 and air with just opening apps and docs and i have mixed thoughts. In some instances the air was able to open apps faster but in other the iPad 2 had displayed pdf files as i scrolled through those apps- faster. That and pages, keynote and numbers have been a little disappointing in the fact that scrolling though my docs with the air its still supper jittery and no smoother than the iPad 2. Ive yet to do any resets so ill try that and I'm hoping that its still finishing the restore from backup in the background causing it to perform like it does but i don't think thats the case because that would cause our internet to lag which it isn't anymore. I don't know how long the return policy is but ill keep my iPad 2 around for awhile just in case i decide its not worth it. I sure would miss the screen though.

Have you checked your diagnostic log for any low memory crashes? Just curious. I can echo most of your observations above. I am moving up from the iPad 2 also but I have noticed faster load times on several online apps.....TV Guide, weather radar, etc.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have not but will. Ironically I'm on my iPad 2 right now. Overall, whats your thoughts, a keeper of an upgrade or is the jury still out?

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have not but will. Ironically I'm on my iPad 2 right now. Overall, whats your thoughts, a keeper of an upgrade or is the jury still out?

I kept my ipad2 also, though I am waiting to hear if my adult daughter wants it. Overall, the jury is still out in my opinion. If I can limit or eliminate the low memory crashes over the next week, I will probably keep it. Like you I love the screen clarity and lower weight. Oh, and Siri is quite interesting also....finally a woman who gives you a straight answer! Ha ha.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have only 2 apps causing issues. Pulse and one safe. I have no other apps crashing and the crashes documented are minor. I suspect compatible issues which should be corrected in updates

That is because of the 64-bit proccesor. But I think that is just a way to revolutionize the apps in the app store for a new generation of smartphones and tablets. 64-bit can really help in the near future. Still that is a big problem when buying 64-bit phones. That is why I am buying the iPhone 5C first.

For me I can't even go near to consuming half GB of RAM so 1 GB of RAM is more than enough for me. I do hope that Apple would make the iPhone even bigger. But I am good with dual cores with phones since I don't multi-task at it.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Reset the ipad make sure your apps are current as it really is not an issue.
Well, I have reset, closed all but 2-3 apps at a time, and even deleted some apps I never use. But I'm still getting 2-3 low memory crashes per day. It usually happens when I go to open a new Facebook page in Safari (not the buggy Facbook app). I really really want to keep this iPad Air but this crashing continues to irritate me! Any suggestions?

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is it saying in your diagnostics and usage? I have 6 items in there but none say anything about low memory crashes. At least in their title anyway, who knows what the long scroll list of data means.

When you say you've reset, which one do you mean? Have you tried the reset(s) in settings- general- reset at the bottom? How did you set the iPad up? As new or from back up? Sometimes backup files can be corrupt or not entirely compatible if from an older device.

Well over the last day or so I've noticed more apps I'm using where the air is faster. Im sure another week and i will not be able to part with it.

Most reactions

Latest posts