Is anyone concerned about 1GB of RAM being enough?

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by s2mikey, Nov 9, 2013.

1. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    So far, my iPad air has been working great with the things I've done with it. There are some threads on other forums where the 1GB of RAM keeps coming up as a potential problem. Safari can only have so many tabs open at once and then frequent reloading starts. Some people see several low memory errors in their diagnostic logs. The 64 bit architecture apparently uses more RAM so that leaves less for apps. I realize that everyone's usage is different and many won't notice this. I just wonder if it's a concern going forward though as more and more new apps come out that will take advantage of the architecture updates.

I do wish Apple would have went with 2GB of RAM but I'm sure that would have forced them to compromise on weight or some other design factor.

Thoughts?

2. Dakotapix

Dakotapix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    That's a fair question. In all my 30 plus years of working with Apple computers I've always been able to add RAM by purchasing the appropriate chips. Not so with the iPad. Having just graduated from the first release iPad to the Air I'm feeling pretty free with the Air's 1024 of RAM. However, I also got accustomed to shutting down loaded Apps on my original iPad using the double click on the Home button and deleting unused Apps from the list that appeared at the bottom of the screen. This trick no longer works on the Air. Has anyone here figured out how to do this on the Air?

3. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Double tap the home button and swipe up on the app preview pane. It's not just the Air, but in fact iOS 7.

4. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have only 2 apps causing issues. Pulse and one safe. I have no other apps crashing and the crashes documented are minor. I suspect compatible issues which should be corrected in updates

5. Dakotapix

Dakotapix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well shoot, Moonlit, that was too easy. Thanks for the tip. Even with the added memory I intend to continue to close out those occasionally used Apps.

6. markbnh1

markbnh1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm starting to get irritated by the low memory crashes! I thought it could be prevented by closing most of the running apps, but it just happened again with only. 3-4 apps open. This never happened on my ipad2. If it keeps up, I will be packing up the air and returning it to Apple within the 30 days! Glad I kept my old ipad2.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

7. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Reset the ipad make sure your apps are current as it really is not an issue.

8. markbnh1

markbnh1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. All apps are current. I'll try the reset.

9. Husq250

Husq250
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Im a little concerned about this iPad. I went from an iPad 1st gen to the 2 and was quite amazed and pleased with performance difference. Ive now upgraded to the Air and admit I'm quite pleased with the sharpness of the screen and its weight and new size but, not so sure on performance. My internet connection isn't the greatest so the air doesn't perform any faster their but i did a side by side test of the 2 and air with just opening apps and docs and i have mixed thoughts. In some instances the air was able to open apps faster but in other the iPad 2 had displayed pdf files as i scrolled through those apps- faster. That and pages, keynote and numbers have been a little disappointing in the fact that scrolling though my docs with the air its still supper jittery and no smoother than the iPad 2. Ive yet to do any resets so ill try that and I'm hoping that its still finishing the restore from backup in the background causing it to perform like it does but i don't think thats the case because that would cause our internet to lag which it isn't anymore. I don't know how long the return policy is but ill keep my iPad 2 around for awhile just in case i decide its not worth it. I sure would miss the screen though.

10. markbnh1

markbnh1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked your diagnostic log for any low memory crashes? Just curious. I can echo most of your observations above. I am moving up from the iPad 2 also but I have noticed faster load times on several online apps.....TV Guide, weather radar, etc.