What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is an iPad for me?

graphite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My company has started looking at iPads as an alternative to windows based laptops. I'm looking for some feedback to see if this is really a viable option.

We currently use Toshiba laptops that have touchscreens and are running Windows 7. We have the following requirements that I need to know if an iPad can do the same thing:

1. Read and write capability for MS Excel, Word, and OneNote files.
2. Read and annotate .pdf files.
3. Video conferencing using Skype or Fring
4. Use Google services such as gmail and calendar.

We typically travel more than 3 days a week throughout the United States so it would be nice to be able to watch movies and possibly read books.

Can anyone give me some recommendations?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Well, #3 is probably going to be the deal breaker for you since the iPad does not have a built-in camera and there are no after market add-ons at this time. There are rumors that the next generation iPad which may come out some time in the Spring of 2011 will have video conferencing capabilities like the 4th generation iPod Touch, but that is strictly a rumor!

There is only one person that knows for sure, and he's not talking!

steve-jobs.jpg

The other stuff can be handled through apps.

Last edited:

overbet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not want to spend much time creating office documents on the ipad but i have not tried the cordless keyboard. Mine is still in the wrapper. I think the ipad has a long way to go before it can replace a laptop. IMO

djricekcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad is not the best alternative imo, at least not for your needs. you shouldn't rely on ipads for compatibilities with file too much so best just get a lap/net top

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I wouldn't do it. I love my ipad, but it is a great second screen when I travel (use maxiview to extend my window netbook) and great at content consumption, but I don't like it for content creation.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should buy one for yourself and test run it.

I'd keep the laptops and maybe get ipads as an option. Some days it's not all practical to lug a laptop around. Other days it is.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see a real way to do OneNote from the iPad. I suspect it will be more pain than gain. I DO recommend the Apple wireless keyboard for serious work on iPad.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a frequently traveling businessman also, and you will love it.

The video conferencing thing could be problematic, and while I have all the apps, I still write complex documents in my laptop. Small changes and notes, no problem, but massive text creation - not so much. There are still compatibility issues to contend with in the various apps.

Most reactions

Latest posts