What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a microphone necessary?

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please don't laugh at me.... but I'm wondering if plugging in a very small microphone to my iPad 2 or Mini would help deliver my speech better to the Dragon Dictation App. If so, then the text might turn out better. Actually it's not too bad without a microphone, but it does stop sometimes for seemingly no reason and I have to start all over. I thought if I had a small microphone, that might make Dragon Dictation work a little better. Or am I all off base here?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Off base? No way. I'd try a Bluetooth headset and see if that works. I know it does with Skype, so no reason why it shouldn't work with any app that records sound.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind that the dictation apps and Apple's built in dictation work by sending your audio to servers. This means that there is a limit to how long you can talk before the app cuts you off and sends the data. Best practice is to say one or two sentences, stop and wait for it to update, then continue. This also gives you the opportunity to correct any gross mistakes.

I don't know from your description if that is what is happening, but I figured it would not hurt to mention it, just in case.

There are several microphones that can plug into either the headphone jack or 30-pin connector (I'm not sure about the lightening connector. They would probably improve dictation some, but I have no idea by how much.

Most reactions

Latest posts