What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a DSP available inside the iPad?

MarkleSparkle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the iPad have a DSP in it that can monitor a realtime datastream via the 30-pin connector port? I have a patented embedded-systems consumer product and want to port the design over to the iPad tablet.

If so, where can I find existing libraries for the DSP?
If not, where can I find libraries for an FFT that *will* run on the iPad?

Sparkie

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a serial port. It's basic 3 pin (TxD, RxD, GND) port. I have no idea how to develop for it.

Here is the pinout of the connector.

Apple iPod, iPhone (2g, 3g), iPad Dock connector pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

I'm not certain if the Firewire port is still supported. On early iPods Firewire was used to charge and sync. I have not heard of Firewire being used for anything since the first iPod Touch.

Note; rumors indicate that Apple may be downsizing the connector for the next iPhone. If they do they will probably eliminate seldom or never used features, and I'd guess the serial port would be a second casualty, right after Firewire. Then again, maybe not. There are several MIDI adaptor/attachments for the iPad, and they probably use the serial port.

It might be wise to wait until you know for sure what the next generation port will support.

Last edited:

adyhooper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but according to my information there is no any DSP that directly interface with the iPad but we could use a Crestron interface between the IPad and the DSP for control doubtless.

Most reactions

Latest posts