1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Is a DSP available inside the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by MarkleSparkle, Jun 8, 2012.

1. MarkleSparkle

MarkleSparkle iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does the iPad have a DSP in it that can monitor a realtime datastream via the 30-pin connector port? I have a patented embedded-systems consumer product and want to port the design over to the iPad tablet.

If so, where can I find existing libraries for the DSP?
    If not, where can I find libraries for an FFT that *will* run on the iPad?

Sparkie
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,980 / 1
    There is a serial port. It's basic 3 pin (TxD, RxD, GND) port. I have no idea how to develop for it.

Here is the pinout of the connector.

Apple iPod, iPhone (2g, 3g), iPad Dock connector pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

I'm not certain if the Firewire port is still supported. On early iPods Firewire was used to charge and sync. I have not heard of Firewire being used for anything since the first iPod Touch.

Note; rumors indicate that Apple may be downsizing the connector for the next iPhone. If they do they will probably eliminate seldom or never used features, and I'd guess the serial port would be a second casualty, right after Firewire. Then again, maybe not. There are several MIDI adaptor/attachments for the iPad, and they probably use the serial port.

It might be wise to wait until you know for sure what the next generation port will support.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  3. adyhooper

adyhooper iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry but according to my information there is no any DSP that directly interface with the iPad but we could use a Crestron interface between the IPad and the DSP for control doubtless.
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,980 / 1
    Ah, you're talking about a Digital Signal Processor, not a Digital Serial Port.

I should have caught that. Sorry.