What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 16gb enough?

HX_Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16GB 3GS and have something like 11GB free and most of the space is probably being taken up by pictures I've taken with the iPhone. I don't keep movies on there...if I watch it, I delete it. I have 3 pages of Apps...unless I use them all the time, I don't like them cluttering up the phone.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16GB 3GS and have something like 11GB free and most of the space is probably being taken up by pictures I've taken with the iPhone. I don't keep movies on there...if I watch it, I delete it. I have 3 pages of Apps...unless I use them all the time, I don't like them cluttering up the phone.

Well since the ipad has a screen worthy of watching video on I plan on using it.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
32GB for me and all the reasons good and bad have already been listed previously.

I'm really not sure yet. I might get the 16GB model.

Cya

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to see how backups will work on the iPad. I don't plan to carry a lot of data with me. It's worth too much to risk on an easily stolen device. A set limit of 16 GB is worthy insurance that one isn't tempted to put too much data on it. And I'll make sure that anything I create on the iPad be quickly backed up so it's not foolishly lost.

Jaseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course it depends on your financial circumstances, but for me, I always try to buy as much computer/device as I can reasonably afford. It seems like things tend to use more and more resources over time and what looked like a lot of computer isn't as much anymore.

That being said, if you're planning to get the cheapest you can and test drive it and sell it when the next generation comes out, that's a bit different. But here again, there is something to consider. Let's say you buy the 16 gb wi-fi model, and a year from now the 2nd generation comes out and the low end model now starts with 32 gb and goes to 128gb and comes with a camera and is cheaper than your model cost. The resale value of your 16gb may be drasticly hit. Of course all of them will take a huge hit when the new generation comes out, but the higher ends may not fall as much as the lower ends. If a lot of huge but nice apps come out for the Ipad, the 16gb model may be very cheap in resale this time next year.

Obviously, the best time to buy anything is always tomorrow;). I really want an Ipad, but I will probably wait a bit, and see what people have to say and keep an eye on the price. I don't think I can stand waiting a year, but I'm sure that's the most prudent way to go. But then again, let's say you buy the 16 gb model, use it for a year, sell it for 200 bucks, you spent 300 bucks for 1 year of use or 25 bucks a month, which isn't too bad.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On the other hand the cheap model will always do your email, surf the web, have dozens of books and your best 1000 pictures and your thousand best songs and your 5 best movies and does not cost a dime to leave on your night stand being an alarm clock.

How many of us have 2, 3, 4 or more desk top, towers, or old laptops setting around the house that still work but we seldom if ever start up. I do not think that will be the case with an old iPad, at the least it will be handed down to the kids, brother sister or aunt. Anyone ever have trouble giving away an ipod or ipod Touch??

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Remember, at least some of us do when we had 1 phone in the house, usually in the kitchen on the wall, count how many are in your house right now.... well if you still have a landline you probably have several. Why so you don't have to get up and go to the kitchen to answer the phone.

How many TVs do you have? Why? so you don't have to go to the family room to watch it.

In 5 years you may have an iPad in every room, pick it up check the baseball scores, read a chapter in the book you are reading and set it down. All of them are synched so you won't have your own iPad it is just an appliance in the house like a wireless phone is now.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finnedog, you have some valid points.

I'm not sure how far off in the future multiple iPads spread out in our households will be, but it sounds interesting.

Cya

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 64GB 3G because I plan to use it to entertain the kids from time to time and will probably download a bunch of movies. They tend to take up alot of space so I just wanted to be on the safe side.

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 64GB 3G because I plan to use it to entertain the kids from time to time and will probably download a bunch of movies. They tend to take up alot of space so I just wanted to be on the safe side.

I'm kind of surprised at how many movies you can carry around with you if you're using the right software.
I recently decided to rip a few of my 3 year old son's Disney movies and turn them into .mp4 files so I could load them onto my 16gb iphone. I figured this would be a good way to keep him occupied while we're out to dinner or on long car rides.

I'm using Handbrake to create the mp4 files and they wind up being about 1-1.2gb on average. The quality is excellent (can't even tell the difference on my AppleTV).
At that file size per movie, you could probably get at least 11 or 12 movies on a 16gb iPad with a little room to spare. That's a pretty good library of movies to carry around with you.
Personally, I think 16GB is plenty big for most people.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm kind of surprised at how many movies you can carry around with you if you're using the right software.
I recently decided to rip a few of my 3 year old son's Disney movies and turn them into .mp4 files so I could load them onto my 16gb iphone. I figured this would be a good way to keep him occupied while we're out to dinner or on long car rides.

I'm using Handbrake to create the mp4 files and they wind up being about 1-1.2gb on average. The quality is excellent (can't even tell the difference on my AppleTV).
At that file size per movie, you could probably get at least 11 or 12 movies on a 16gb iPad with a little room to spare. That's a pretty good library of movies to carry around with you.
When you use handbrake to make the conversion for your iPhone... are you converting it to the exact resolution of your phone? I'm curious how large the file from handbrake would be converting it to the exact resolution of the iPad. I think on average the HD videos I've downloaded from iTunes have been about 1 to 1.5 gig (which is awesome compression because it looks great).

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check the tech specs, the video resolution will be no different from the iPhone, 640x480, unless it's in Motion Jepg. The screen will just be bigger. Unless they have changed that and not updated there public specs.

Oops sorry it does support 720p in H.264 format, but not as MEPG4.

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score

When you use handbrake to make the conversion for your iPhone... are you converting it to the exact resolution of your phone? I'm curious how large the file from handbrake would be converting it to the exact resolution of the iPad. I think on average the HD videos I've downloaded from iTunes have been about 1 to 1.5 gig (which is awesome compression because it looks great).

I actually convert to the AppleTV resolution (there is is a preset setting for AppleTV in Handbrake) since my son mainly watches movies on our 60" HDTV in the family room. It looks incredible on that tv even though the file size is usually under 1.2gb. Handbrake is some seriously awesome software.

ipadcorral.com

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to calculate the storage I might need, but then decided just to go with the 16GB WiFi only as a test mule model, and in a month upgrade capacity and possibly go for the 3G model at the same time if need be.
I don't think it will be too hard to resell an iPad early on and recoup the investment.

Most reactions

Latest posts