What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPod Touch Second Generation Update Help??

I

Icarus75

First of all, I'm sorry, I know that this doesn't really belong on this site, but I've tried elsewhere and received no replies, and I'm Autistic, and really struggling to control my anxiety about this right now, so please just bear with me and help if you can.

I bought a second generation iPod Touch earlier today. I bought it second hand, and it hadn't been used in a long time, as it is still running iOS 2.2.1. On the iPod, iTunes and the App Store do not work correctly, and Safari causes the device to freeze.

I connected to iTunes, and discovered that an update to iOS 4.2.1 was available, but after trying several times, I still cannot backup nor update the iPod.

If you have any advice, please reply as quick as possible.

Thank you very much in advance. :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

If you bought it today then presumably whatever is on it currently is from the previous owner, so you won't be able to back it up. What you'll need to do is plug it into iTunes as you've been doing but press the restore as new button. You'll lose any media which is currently on the iPod but that belongs to the previous owner, you'll be able to put your own music, etc on there.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

The Archangel

OP
I

Icarus75

Thanks ... But I have already erased all content and settings via the settings app on the iPod itself. Should I still do as you describe?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks ... But I have already erased all content and settings via the settings app on the iPod itself. Should I still do as you describe?

Yes, if you are still having issues with it just restore is as new, that should hopefully give you an as new iPod.

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, you beat me to it, Gabe. I was just getting ready to post!

Anyways, with that excellent advice--welcome, Icarus!!:)

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Enjoy your iPod Icarus. My iPod was my first apple device. I loved it as I could play my music on it and enjoy photo collections. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
I

Icarus75

Dang.

imagevdvw.jpg

OP
I

Icarus75

I can't read what it says in the error box, can you type it out or get a clearer picture?

The Archangel

The iPod "[MY NAME]'s iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error has occurred [-1]

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPod "[MY NAME]'s iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error has occurred [-1]

Ok, the first thing to do is make sure that your copy of iTunes is the latest one then switch off all your firewall, antivirus software and try again (you can switch them back on when you've finished).

If you still get the same error, do you know anyone who has a computer that syncs to their iOS devices, if you do ask them if you can restore your device on their computer, if it works then you know the problem lies with you computer, if it won't restore you may need to take it to an Apple Store.

The Archangel

OP
I

Icarus75

A Question...

I disabled all security settings, and it still did not work. I will ask my neighbour if I can use his laptop later today, but if it doesn't...

Yes, I could take it to an Apple Store, but, I bought this device with the intention of jailbreaking it at some point, since it is no longer supported, and adding features of newer iOS versions to it.

Apps That Work Perfectly

* Calendar

* Mail

* Contacts

* Stocks

* Maps

* Weather

* Clock

* Calculator

* Notes

* Settings

* Photos

* Videos

* Music

iTunes and App Store can be accessed, but, obviously, apps cannot be downloaded.

Apps With Stability Issues

* Safari - Certain sites cause the browser to crash, and even freeze the iPod, such as Google and Yahoo

* YouTube - Sometimes works, but other times, videos can't be accessed

Would it be unwise to jailbreak while still on such an old version of iOS, and with the bugs I describe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I'd get it working so that it is stable and then look at Jailbreaking it but you might get some better advice on that in the Hacking section of the forums.

The Archangel

OP
I

Icarus75

Okay, just one last thing before I disappear for a few days and stop troubling you...

It has been suggested that Apple no longer offer the update to 4.2, and that the option is just an automated response from iTunes. Thoughts?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, just one last thing before I disappear for a few days and stop troubling you...

It has been suggested that Apple no longer offer the update to 4.2, and that the option is just an automated response from iTunes. Thoughts?

Again, I'd post in our hacking section, those guys tend to know more about that kind of stuff.

The Archangel

OP
I

Icarus75

Good news, everything is fine now!

I attempted to install whited00r 6, a customised version of iOS 3.1.3, but this failed and sent the device into recovery mode. I tried several times to install whited00r, but to no avail. Then, I simply clicked restore and the iPod immediately updated to 4.2.1 without any errors...

I DID try putting it into recovery mode before, and this didn't work ... So I don't really understand why it did this time...

Anyway, thank you to Gabriel and everyone else who tried to help. :)

Unless I experience an issue relevant to all iOS devices, I won't post any more about the iPod here, as it doesn't belong here.

Most reactions

Latest posts