What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPod help Please!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My daughter has a Nano ipod. Sometimes, like just now, she syncs with iTunes and it will randomly remove a ton of songs from the ipod.

Once or twice it removed all of Beyonce's songs! She said it is not always artist specific, but sometimes.

Anyone have any ideas?

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we have the same problem down here marie. my hubby got one. and we cant even put the songs in the order that we want to. lol
i hope someone drops in and give some tips. ;)

james4133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It can depend on how big your music library is compared to the capacity of the iPod, as I'm sure you're aware ;-)

If her iPod doesn't have enough space, it could depend on what the settings are for how much music and which is selected to be synched, or if she has videos that she wants loaded. I don't know personally which has a higher priority in iTunes, music or video. (I would think music, but not sure)

Don't know why it would randomly "pick out" and artist like Beyonce to not sync, though, that is kinda strange

Reaction score
Hey, the iPod has a good taste, it knows exactly what to remove :D

Anyway, the iPod is usually too small to hold all songs from the iTunes library, so unless you specify within iTunes which songs/playlists to add, will it have to choose by itself, which ones should be added.

When the iPod is connected to iTunes, can you select 'Manually sync Music &Videos' and then choose the ones you want to have on the iPod?

My suspicion is, that iTunes uses some sort of algorithm to determine a list of which songs to add, when not all songs fit on the iPod, so then every time new songs are added to iTunes, this list of songs will change, because the new songs change the order, so it can happen that some songs disappear and new songs are added. But this is just a guess. If the songs are manually managed, or the iPod is larger then the iTunes library, it should not happen.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
My daughter has a Nano ipod. Sometimes, like just now, she syncs with iTunes and it will randomly remove a ton of songs from the ipod.

Once or twice it removed all of Beyonce's songs! She said it is not always artist specific, but sometimes.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just out of interest, are the tracks all from the iTunes store or is it a mix of ripped and downloaded tracks? I used to have an issue with backing tracks we used in the band I was in to the point of turning up at a gig with no backing tracks......that was when I decided to declare myself out of the evenings popularity contest! But it did seem to be linked to the way they had been loaded into iTunes. I solved the problem by deleting all of my playlists and making new playlists from scratch.

The Archangel

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It can depend on how big your music library is compared to the capacity of the iPod, as I'm sure you're aware ;-)

If her iPod doesn't have enough space, it could depend on what the settings are for how much music and which is selected to be synched, or if she has videos that she wants loaded. I don't know personally which has a higher priority in iTunes, music or video. (I would think music, but not sure)

Don't know why it would randomly "pick out" and artist like Beyonce to not sync, though, that is kinda strange

Just texted her to see how many songs she can put on there and how many she does have on there.

Hopefully she will answer me soon. Don't forget me!

There she is:

She can put 500 and has about 250, on there now. She only has music, no videos. On a tiny Nano wld be impossible to see, I'm thinkin.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, the iPod has a good taste, it knows exactly what to remove :D

Anyway, the iPod is usually too small to hold all songs from the iTunes library, so unless you specify within iTunes which songs/playlists to add, will it have to choose by itself, which ones should be added.

When the iPod is connected to iTunes, can you select 'Manually sync Music &Videos' and then choose the ones you want to have on the iPod?

My suspicion is, that iTunes uses some sort of algorithm to determine a list of which songs to add, when not all songs fit on the iPod, so then every time new songs are added to iTunes, this list of songs will change, because the new songs change the order, so it can happen that some songs disappear and new songs are added. But this is just a guess. If the songs are manually managed, or the iPod is larger then the iTunes library, it should not happen.

Good Lord. I will have her read this. I'm lost. I know she has specific play lists she makes and adds. And she checks what she wants. She has been playing with iTunes for years, and this just started happening.

I can always tell she is on iTunes as I hear her swearing!!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

Anyone have any ideas?

Just out of interest, are the tracks all from the iTunes store or is it a mix of ripped and downloaded tracks? I used to have an issue with backing tracks we used in the band I was in to the point of turning up at a gig with no backing tracks......that was when I decided to declare myself out of the evenings popularity contest! But it did seem to be linked to the way they had been loaded into iTunes. I solved the problem by deleting all of my playlists and making new playlists from scratch.

The Archangel

No, she buys all her music from iTunes. Does that help?

I will be back ~ working!

Thanks guys!

Most reactions