What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhoto Events Album

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What's the purpose of the iPhoto Events folder in albums? Seems Apple has created it, I sure didn't. Also seems to be like the views in the photos sections - that is by date. But some events folders in iPhoto events albums appear empty ( Sept 3 in my case) yet I have a photo with that date. Very confusing and I see no advantage to its existence.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What's the purpose of the iPhoto Events folder in albums? Seems Apple has created it, I sure didn't. Also seems to be like the views in the photos sections - that is by date. But some events folders in iPhoto events albums appear empty ( Sept 3 in my case) yet I have a photo with that date. Very confusing and I see no advantage to its existence.

It's probably a folder that was created by an app that you have on your iPad as I don't have such a folder on mine.

1324f215242f8464bf8756ccf7212422.jpg

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't used to have that folder either. It has 300 of my 400 photos in it though so probably more than some program creating it. Could it be because of backing up to my Mac which has such a folder?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you use iTunes on the computer to do the backup?

Check the Photos sync settings (with the iPad connected and selected in iTunes). If you have it turned on and a folder selected it will sync those folders from your computer to the iPad. The only way to remove those pictures and the album is to unselect the folder (or just turn off Photos Syncing) and then Apply the new settings.

If you are using the new Photos app on your Mac and have iCloud Photos turned on (both the iPad and Mac) that could also cause some extra albums on the iPad.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe that is the source...Mac has a folder called iPhoto events.

Interesting. Events are basically displayed like what you find in the Photos view on iPad. By date, location etc. Could it be iPad will soon have only Albums and Share folders? IPhoto events album has a search option in place of a slide show option!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you talk about what you see on the Mac, are you talking about a folder in the Finder (file manager), an album in the old iPhotos app, or a folder/album in the new Photos app for the Mac?

If it's a folder in the Finder, then the album will be synced in iTunes, by selecting that folder.

If it's an album in iPhoto, then it's synced in iTunes by selecting iPhotos.

If it's ah album in the new Photos app on the Mac, then it is also synced in iTunes (not tested), or if you also have iCloud Photo Library turned on then it is synced directly through iCloud.

The old iPhotos app created Events whenever you imported new photos. You could also create your own Events by moving or combining photos from other places. When the Photos app is installed it converts the old iPhoto library to be compatible. Since it no longer supports Events, all the events were converted to a series of sub-ablums in a folder.

Personally I deleted this album quite a while ago. The main photo view provides much the same kind of collection vs time vs location utility; and the Events album lost almost all the extra features it had in iPhotos.

Deleting albums does not delete the actual photos. They will still exist in the main library view.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is all confusing but I think they all sync like you say. Hoping they will improve the syncing and iCloud Drive. Categories in photos on Mac should be same as on iPad. IMHO. pretty new to Mac, don't use it much as iPad does most all I need.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you use iCloud Photo Library (not the same as iCloud Drive) on the Mac (with the new Photos app on iOS Yosemite or newer) and on the iPad, and iPhone if you have it, then everything becomes 'almost' identical everywhere, and stays synced. And it doesn't use iTunes on the computer at all.

The down side is that you need considerably more iCloud storage space (beyond the 5GB free limit) to do this.

So Apple has been moving in the direction you want, but it's not without cost and some initial setup anxiety. It can take a few days for larger libraries to finish the initial sync. A solid home internet connection is heavily recommended.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Twerp poet, thanks. I am in iCloud Drive on all devices. All photos sync. The iPhoto Events is an album created by iPhoto I guess, not by me. So how did it decide which photos to put in it. I'm suspecting they are photos I put on a stick from old PC then uploaded to Mac. Mac created that folder to put them in, then synced to the iPad.

What do you think. Guess I could test easily enough.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iCloud Drive and iCloud Photo Library are not the same thing. Turning on one does not turn on the other. I'm being picky about this because they do very different things.

iCloud Drive is turned on under Settings > iCloud. It adds synced iCloud folders for any app that supports it; including most of the native apps (but not Photos, Music, Videos, and the other apps that used to sync using iTune on the computer).

iCloud Photo Library is turned on under Settings > Photos & Camera. It only affects your Photo app storage, and keeps those photos synced between all devices and computers that have it enabled (using the same iCloud account).

Both count against your iCloud storage limit.

I know I'm being picky here, but it's important to know which one we are talking about when trying to run down a problem.

Not that you seem to be having a problem anymore. I'm just not satisfied that I've been clear enough in my descriptions.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand and it is confusing! Now why does Apple not offer archival storage. Photo storage is just a mirroring site. For archival you need DropBox or similar or Time Macine on a Mac. Think there is work to do and confusions to eliminate by Apple!

Most reactions

Latest posts