What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iphone5s and ipad air freezing

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All, I am new to all things Apple and was very interested to read this thread, as I also had issues, but slightly different. In my case it has happened only twice since I got my iPad (only have it 3 weeks) and in both cases it was after charging. It was fully charged 100% and froze when I tried to do anything. The first time I did not know what happened or indeed what I did to get it going as I tried everything and eventually it worked. The second time I was a little more concerned that I might have had a faulty unit so I searched the internet and found how to get it going again. What I did was to hold down both the menu button and the start button for about 10 seconds until it eventually popped up the Apple logo. I have had no further issues since, however I do seem to have a very heavy drain on the battery for no obvious reason. This morning having charged it overnight, I shut down the iPad and did not use it till late afternoon and when I switched it on found that there was only 35% charge left, don't know why as the Bluetooth is switched off. Sorry for being long winded, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Stag

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

First off, holding down the start and home buttons simultaneously until you see the Apple Logo is called a reset. It's a good step to take when you are having problems with your iPad.

As far as your battery drain goes, how do you have your email set up? Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - fetch new data. If you have Push set to on, this will use up battery. To conserve battery turn this off and set it to Manually below this. This means your emails will only come in when you open your mail app.

Do you close your apps regularly? I close mine completely each night as some will continue to refresh in the background. There's a setting for this also which was introduced with IOS7. Settings - General - Background app refresh. You can turn this off completely or limit it to certain apps you want to refresh. Turning it off completely will save the most battery. In case you don't know how to Close your apps completely - From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time...... just swipe up on the image above the app icon to close it.

Closing an app completely is also the first step to take if you're having problems with it or it freezes or crashes on you.

For general battery saving, other new features of IOS7 are the parallax feature, the moving wallpapers (Dynamic) and Automatic Updates. These are all great features of IOS7 but do use more battery.

Parallax - the screen appears to move behind your app icons when viewed from different angles. To turn this off go to Settings - General - Accessibility - Reduce Motion.

Wallpapers - Settings - Wallpapers and brightness. There are 2 options listed - Dynamic and Stills. Select Stills.....you can also select a wallpaper of your own from your camera roll. Also set your Brightness lower to what you find acceptable. I have mine below half way and have Auto Brightness turned On.

Automatic Downloads - this one can occur at any time and may be another reason your battery is draining when not in use. Settings - iTunes and App Store - Automatic Downloads. Turn this setting off. When there is an update available you will notice a small red number on your App Store icon and can download these manually.

Location Services - this also uses battery life. Limit location services to the apps you use regularly or turn them On or Off at will. Settings - Privacy - Location Services

You should notice a difference with your battery life by following the above steps. I hope they help you.

artofcode

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at your Settings. Safari is a built in app and can't be deleted. Maybe it's restricted. Go to Settings - General - Restrictions - Allow. If Safari is disabled, that's the reason why it doesn't open. Enable it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and Restrictions were disabled. I went ahead and enabled them and Allowed Safari just to see if that would help. But it didn't so I set it back to Disabled.

Btw, if I tap on Safari in Settings, it closes out of Settings altogether.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and Restrictions were disabled. I went ahead and enabled them and Allowed Safari just to see if that would help. But it didn't so I set it back to Disabled. Btw, if I tap on Safari in Settings, it closes out of Settings altogether.

Try a reset of your iPad and see if this makes a difference. It's a recommended step after an update also, just to allow everything to settle in nicely.

Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

If still having problems go to Settings - Safari and clear your History, Cookies and Data.

Let us know if this brings Safari back to working properly.

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Ieelai,

Thanks for your welcome and for getting back to me re my battery life problem.

I have already implement your various suggestions and will monitor the battery life to see if it will improved.

I found nearly all the settings were switched on so I have switched them off. Cant find the Location Services is this on the WiFi model as I only have the bog standard 16gb model.

No doubt I will find other things that will bring me back to the forum.

Once again many thanks.

Stag

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ieelai, Thanks for your welcome and for getting back to me re my battery life problem. I have already implement your various suggestions and will monitor the battery life to see if it will improved. I found nearly all the settings were switched on so I have switched them off. Cant find the Location Services is this on the WiFi model as I only have the bog standard 16gb model. No doubt I will find other things that will bring me back to the forum. Once again many thanks. Stag
Location services are in Settings - Privacy (all models).

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ieelai, Thanks for your welcome and for getting back to me re my battery life problem. I have already implement your various suggestions and will monitor the battery life to see if it will improved. I found nearly all the settings were switched on so I have switched them off. Cant find the Location Services is this on the WiFi model as I only have the bog standard 16gb model. No doubt I will find other things that will bring me back to the forum. Once again many thanks. Stag

You're very welcome!

Sorry, I forgot to list those Location Services.....they are a tricky one to find but I see JA has filled you in on their whereabouts. I will now include them in my post for others who may have this problem also.

You really should notice a difference in your battery life now!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Zugzwang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
I've had one freeze/reboot. Happened when using safari heavily. I have read here that that is a problem, so I've switched back to chrome, which I used on my androids anyway. No problems since.

Most reactions

Latest posts