What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone Messages won't Sync to iPad

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPhone was messing up last night. I couldn't get the "mute" to work. Tried everything and finally reset it. That did something to my iPad Air. Now my messages sent and received on my iPhone don't show up on my iPad. I've reset my iPad, turned it off, turned it on, etc., etc. Help please.

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update. I signed out of iMessage on both devices and my computer. Then signed back in. I can now see my messages on my iPhone and my iPad, but now there's no notification (sound or number by the icon on the homepage).

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
From Settings > Notification Center > Messages, turn on the required options.

Please post back if this helps or not. Good luck!

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From Settings > Notification Center > Messages, turn on the required options.

Please post back if this helps or not. Good luck!

Thanks but everything is correctly turned on. Still nothing. I'm baffled.

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try another reset...

Press and hold the home and power button for 10-20 seconds until Apple logo appears.

I reset both devices. My iPhone is working now but the iPad isn't getting messages nor is it showing notification.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry if you did mention this above, but do you get notifications on the lock screen? Do you get the prompts? Is it only that the sounds do not play and the numbers do not show?

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if you did mention this above, but do you get notifications on the lock screen? Do you get the prompts? Is it only that the sounds do not play and the numbers do not show?

I get sound and number notification on locked screen on my iPhone but nothing on my iPad, not even the message goes through.

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes

Do you have Notifications view turned on in Settings > Notifications Center?

Oh yes, everything has been turned on in "Notification Center". The text messages aren't going through at all. Is there something I need to do on my computer through iTunes? I tried that yesterday, but maybe I didn't do it right. Thanks so much for your sticking with me on this.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ababa baobab I hope you're still reading my posts. Someone on another forum suggested I compare my "send & receive" addresses. Sure enough my iPhone has my phone number but my iPad has my email address. That's gotta be the problem! Trouble is my iPad only allows email addresses and not phone numbers. The ( ) even disappears from my keyboard when I try to enter the area code. Did I buy a lemon?

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ababa baobab I hope you're still reading my posts. Someone on another forum suggested I compare my "send & receive" addresses. Sure enough my iPhone has my phone number but my iPad has my email address. That's gotta be the problem! Trouble is my iPad only allows email addresses and not phone numbers. The ( ) even disappears from my keyboard when I try to enter the area code. Did I buy a lemon?

No, my iPad only receives messages to my email as well, and my only option is for adding more email addresses to receive from. If I want messages on both I send from my email not my phone number so I receive all subsequent messages on both devices (the iPhone gives the option to do phone number and email address)

OP
D

Dendad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, my iPad only receives messages to my email as well, and my only option is for adding more email addresses to receive from. If I want messages on both I send from my email not my phone number so I receive all subsequent messages on both devices (the iPhone gives the option to do phone number and email address)

Thanks. It's sounding more and more like all this was caused by the latest Apple update. I was able to text on both devices before that update. I changed both to my email and it worked! Thank you soooo much!

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's sounding more and more like all this was caused by the latest Apple update. I was able to text on both devices before that update.
Regular text messaging with an iPad was never possible. The only form of text messaging available to the iPad is iMessage between iOS devices and compatible Mac computers.

Most reactions

Latest posts