What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iphone as a wifi tether for Ipad

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please pardon my stupidity. I can switch out my BB for an IPhone in Sept. Through Verizon. So, say I visit my mom who has no Internet access at all, and my IPad has wifi only, I will be able to use my newly acquired IPhone to get Internet for my IPad, my husband's IPad, and my Dell laptop from work? Will it work in the car too?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes to all of those. As long as your iPhone has a 3G connection (that's most places with Verizon) you'll be able to use the iPhone's Hotspot to connect any device that uses Wifi, up to five at a time I believe. Though that might get really slow if you were using them all.

But, the hotspot will cost you an extra $20 a month, and is limited to 2GB a month of data.

Camoman12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't Know it cost an extra $20 a month. You'd think Apple could throw in a useful feature like that for a lot less.

Last edited:

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done this with Verizon. You sign up for the $20 month hot spot on the day you want to tether. It will be activated almost instantly. Then just use the hotspot for the days you need it even if it's only for a day or two. Then deactivate the hotspot by calling or using Verizon's website. They will prorate the $20 so that you only pay for the days you had hotspot activated. That comes to only 67 cents per day.

OP
D

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Montereybob said:
I have done this with Verizon. You sign up for the $20 month hot spot on the day you want to tether. It will be activated almost instantly. Then just use the hotspot for the days you need it even if it's only for a day or two. Then deactivate the hotspot by calling or using Verizon's website. They will prorate the $20 so that you only pay for the days you had hotspot activated. That comes to only 67 cents per day.

Thanks, great info! This sounds similar to the Verizon international plan for BB.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When i updated to 4.3.2 the personal hotspot option for my iphone4 vanished . Anyone experience this?

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get a Droid phone, root it and add the hot spot app for free:D Use the Sprint network and get unlimited data as well.

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rudinater said:
Get a Droid phone, root it and add the hot spot app for free:D Use the Sprint network and get unlimited data as well.

Droid? How about jail breaking his iPhone 4 and adding mywi and doing the same thing.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it is a bug, it is the first I heard of it. I use the hotspot and updated to 4.3.2 without a problem.

Did the carrier say that your hotspot was turned on? You might have them try turning it off then on again. There is definitely something that the carrier does, because before I called and activated it the option did not show in my settings.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Probably. I did not, and still don't, do this. I prefer to abide by my contracts and not worry about stuff.

You'll want to explore the Hacking area on the forum for Jailbreak information. Be sure to read the sticky posts at the top of the list of threads.

Most reactions

Latest posts