What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone 4S & iPad 2 Untethered iOS 5 Jailbreak DELAYED! Help The Dev Team NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep, looks fake to me too. There is an app that downloads though and it includes the ipad2 as a choice. I still say by the end of the week.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

how r u so sure? although i hope u r right :p

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS 5.0.1 untethered jb is available on iPhone 4 now by pod2g...this news brings joy for iPad 2 owners without jb too..get to iOS 5.0.1 ASAP!

Sent from my iPad 2 white 64 gb (ios 5.0.1) using iPF

jay265

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still not sure if I should jailbreak my 4s and my ipad2 when they become available. What is the general opinion out there? Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still not sure if I should jailbreak my 4s and my ipad2 when they become available. What is the general opinion out there? Thanks.

No one can tell you whether to jail break your iDevices or not. What I can tell you is that I have a jail broken iPad1 and am eagerly waiting for a jail break for the iPhone 4S. I have had zero security issues and am having a blast, running my iPad as I wish - not necessarily as Apple would wish. :D

iAUD has a point, in that if you don't take steps to protect access to the iDevice, you might be opening yourself to troubles. For example, if you install OpenSSH, a tweak that'll let you wirelessly get into the iPad's innards, you need to change the default Apple password else someone else can get in. The only reports about people maliciously hacking into the iDevice was because the owners of such devices did NOT change that password. So, there's that.

And yes, jail breaking does remove some of the sandbox characteristics of the iPad. Which, to be honest, is kind of the point and a good thing (IMNSHO)! I can directly attach any picture or file to an e-mail without leaving the Mail app or doing a cut-n-paste. That's a good thing. As long as you stick with a tried and true tweak, written by a developer with a good reputation (and get the tweak from a reputable source), you'll be fine. However, there are very few tweaks out there that can actually break that sandbox "wall" built by Apple.

So far, knock on wood, the iPad is just as safe as a stock iPad. In addition, should you decide, it is easily restored to stock.

But, enough of me telling you of the bennies. Grab yourself a cup of your favorite beverage and a snack and have a browse through our Hacking section, especially starting with this sticky: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your visit(s).

Marilyn

jay265

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
No one can tell you whether to jail break your iDevices or not. What I can tell you is that I have a jail broken iPad1 and am eagerly waiting for a jail break for the iPhone 4S. I have had zero security issues and am having a blast, running my iPad as I wish - not necessarily as Apple would wish. :D

iAUD has a point, in that if you don't take steps to protect access to the iDevice, you might be opening yourself to troubles. For example, if you install OpenSSH, a tweak that'll let you wirelessly get into the iPad's innards, you need to change the default Apple password else someone else can get in. The only reports about people maliciously hacking into the iDevice was because the owners of such devices did NOT change that password. So, there's that.

And yes, jail breaking does remove some of the sandbox characteristics of the iPad. Which, to be honest, is kind of the point and a good thing (IMNSHO)! I can directly attach any picture or file to an e-mail without leaving the Mail app or doing a cut-n-paste. That's a good thing. As long as you stick with a tried and true tweak, written by a developer with a good reputation (and get the tweak from a reputable source), you'll be fine. However, there are very few tweaks out there that can actually break that sandbox "wall" built by Apple.

So far, knock on wood, the iPad is just as safe as a stock iPad. In addition, should you decide, it is easily restored to stock.

But, enough of me telling you of the bennies. Grab yourself a cup of your favorite beverage and a snack and have a browse through our Hacking section, especially starting with this sticky: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

Marilyn

Thank you the info on this. I'm definitely going to weigh my options and decide from there. I do like the "freedom" when using my devices. Again I appreciate the insight!
Jay

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:

Marilyn

What is it exactly that you guys do w a jail broken iPad that you cannot do on a stock iPad? Everyone speaks of this "ambiguous" *at least to me it is* freedom jail braking provides but I can never get a clear understanding of what it is that you are doing with the iPads.

Sent from my Tricked Out Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was coming here to try to answer your question, tlbaker. But, then I noticed that this thread has gotten way off topic. Way off!

Oooops. My bad.

So, I'm closing it. It served it's purpose on the very first page - have people send their crash reports to the Chronic Dev Team versus Apple.

If you came all the way to this page to find out more news about jail breaking updates, please see this thread:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/44596-official-ipad2-jailbreak-thread.html

And, tlbaker, I owe you an answer. Turns out, however, that there's a lot more typing involved. I'm going to start a new thread and when it's posted, I'll let you know. Because, it's a good question that needs a thread, one that a lot of people could take the opportunity to participate in; I think it'll be a good discussion. Just not in this thread. :D

So, stay tuned...

Thanks, all.

Marilyn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions