What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPF won't let me write a forum message???

Tobyr21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am writing this question from my Windows PC. When I tried to take Safari to the iForums, my ipad2 suggested downloading the iPF app to use with the forums. I tried it. (I'm an ipad and an apple newbie.)

When I tried to enter a message to start a thread, the ipad2 (in iPF) allowed me to select any field and fill it in EXCEPT the message body. I was only allowed to copy the empty message body to the clipboard. I could not bring up the onscreen keyboard by touching the message body field.

I was logged in. What was I doing wrong? Please allow me to note, as a refugee from the windows world, that providing me with a special purpose app for a website that fails to work is a real downer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you were viewing the full website in the iPF's built in browser. You can do that, and in a moment I'll tell you how to make it work, but it's not how you should be doing messages, normally. I'm going to describe how things work, and hopefully something will click, and you'll see where it all went wrong. :)

First, to log in with the iPF app, make sure you are doing it using the login icon at the bottom of the screen. It looks like a key. Logging in while viewing the web page won't help.

When viewing a message, you can reply by either taping the arrow icon at the top right and choosing Reply, or tapping on the blue down arrow in the reply header and choosing quote.

To start a new thread you should choose the Forums icon at the bottom (looks like a file cabinet), navigate to the forum you want to start a thread in, then tap on the arrow icon at the top right and choose New Thread.

Now, in order to edit text on the forum's website with any browser, go to the User CP tab at the top. From the left column choose the Edit Options link. At the very bottom of the settings you can choose your default editor. Choose the Standard one.

Safari is the only browser, so far, that will work with the WYSWYG editor.

And despite the pop-up notice that there is a forum app, the website works just fine in a browser. The only thing (that I am aware of) that does not work is file uploads.

But that is a web-wide problem caused by how the iPad does files, not specific to this site.

Most reactions

Latest posts