What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipads

teara013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad2 64gb with cellular but I keep hearing about the air. Can someone tell me the advantage of buying an air as my granddaughter would like to have my ipad 2.
I like mine as it does everything I need and takes great pictures.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the iPad 4 and I recently played with the iPad Air in a local Best Buy. The iPad Air is thinner, lighter, has a faster processor and a Retina display. I also believe the Air will be updated longer than the iPad 2. I'll be buying the Air as soon as I have the funds.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad Air won't do a whole lot more (app wise) than your iPad 2, but it will do it faster, with a better display, and in less bulky hardware. The cameras are much much better, both front and back. It's a serious overall improvement on the iPad 2's hardware, and because of that it will also enjoy support further into the future.

I recently upgraded from my iPad 3 to an Air and am very pleased. My mother is equally pleased with her new-to-her iPad 3. :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an Ipad2 64gb with cellular but I keep hearing about the air. Can someone tell me the advantage of buying an air as my granddaughter would like to have my ipad 2.
I like mine as it does everything I need and takes great pictures.

Hi Teara.. - welcome to the forum! :) Of course, you already know that the decision is yours alone - I have the iPad 2 and enjoy (but don't agree about 'takes great pictures' - the back camera is only .7 MP and is lousy in my opinion, SO if you do want better pics, then going to the Air would be a good choice).

First, take a look at the Specs HERE comparing the different iPads - I likely will be upgrading to the current or the next 'Air' for many reasons; but if you want a faster processor, a MUCH better camera, a thinner & lighter device, and a retina display, then there is no decision for you; and second, a gift to your granddaughter is likely the BEST reason to buy a new iPad - :thumbs:

Now if you do make a decision to buy a new iPad then return because you will have questions about transferring your current device to the new one - there are a number of important considerations, much of which is already found in previous threads here - good luck in your decision. Dave

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go for the Air. It's a much improved device and the best thing is that your grand daughter gets her own iPad to use so everyone makes out in the deal. :)

OP
T

teara013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I agree pictures inside are not that great but most of mine on that trip were out side and look pretty good.
Yes my grandaughter thinks it would be a great idea but will have to give it some serious thought after more research.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I agree pictures inside are not that great but most of mine on that trip were out side and look pretty good. Yes my grandaughter thinks it would be a great idea but will have to give it some serious thought after more research.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I've just upgraded from an iPad 2 (same as yours) to an Air! It's a huge difference, I love how much faster it is but it's the feel and weight of it that really impresses me. It's slimmer and that much smaller without sacrificing the size of the screen. My new Air is so much lighter than the 2, which now feels like a brick to carry.

Take your iPad 2 to an Apple Store and compare them, I think you will see the difference easier this way and appreciate all the more what the Air offers. The retina screen is really wonderful and now after having used the Air for a while, when I use the 2 I can see the pixelation so much more. It's been a step up for my eyes!

I've had my 2 since they were released and it's served me so very well but the Air makes it a joy again! Wait till you try it, you'll see! ;)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum! I've just upgraded from an iPad 2 (same as yours) to an Air! It's a huge difference, I love how much faster it is but it's the feel and weight of it that really impresses me. It's slimmer and that much smaller without sacrificing the size of the screen. My new Air is so much lighter than the 2, which now feels like a brick to carry. Take your iPad 2 to an Apple Store and compare them, I think you will see the difference easier this way and appreciate all the more what the Air offers. The retina screen is really wonderful and now after having used the Air for a while, when I use the 2 I can see the pixelation so much more. It's been a step up for my eyes! I've had my 2 since they were released and it's served me so very well but the Air makes it a joy again! Wait till you try it, you'll see! ;)

I am also in the EX iPad 2 owners club and while it was a terrific device that my youngest daughter is now enjoying, the time was ripe for me to move on. The Air has been fantastic and a HUGE upgrade over the 2 in basically every way.

Dittos on all of your points! :)

Dusker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having just joined the Apple world my experience is zilch, however I have a friend with both! Her choice is the Air for traveling and it took no time at all for me to decide when comparing the 2 side by side. Good luck with your decision.

OP
T

teara013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments. Never been in a forum before so someone suggested I try it and I'm very impressed. Now I will look around the stores in our town which are few being we are a small town.
My 2 I ordered from the apple store. Are the prices about the same from place to place or do they come on sale? I'm not that great a shopper as I hate shopping. There are probably alot of different
web sites I could access as well if anyone has some ideas I would much appreciate.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Having just joined the Apple world my experience is zilch, however I have a friend with both! Her choice is the Air for traveling and it took no time at all for me to decide when comparing the 2 side by side. Good luck with your decision.
Travel capability is one area the Air wins by a huge margin. No doubt there!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You'll occasionally (rarely) find deals on new iPads, though almost always these are for the wi-fi only models and the lowest (16GB) storage. Look at Walmart, BestBuy, all the usual suspects.

Sometimes you'll see a free iTunes gift card offered. Usually around the $25 range.

If you buy a cellular model from a carrier you may be able to get if financed for a monthly payment. Verizon in the U.S. has recently started this. Hold in mind you're also committed to a two year contract similar to a subsidized smart phone contract. They make it up in your data plan costs, mostly.

Other than that the prices will be very much the same no matter what store you buy your iPad from. Apple's reseller policy discourages heavy discounts

Most reactions

Latest posts