iPads and Target Stores

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by caver3d, Nov 27, 2010.

1. caver3d

caver3d iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This has likely been discussed, but I bought my iPad at Target - not online. I did so because of their return policy. I got the 64 gb wifi originally. After a couple weeks I took it back, paid the difference and got the 3G version. No questions asked. Painless.

I was told that their 3 month return policy also holds for the iPads. So, if I run into an issue, I can take it back within the 90 day period. BestBuy is good for 30 days.

Worth keeping Target in mind for such purchases.

caver3d
  2. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Hm...I had wondered about that: Other than adding more locations to buy an iPad, what do these retail outlets have to offer? Thanks for the tip.
  3. Blackbelt

Blackbelt iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    They carry limited supplies of iPad thus the options of exchanging are also limited.
  4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    At Best Buy and Target they have tons of accessories! A whole two walls full. But all of it was ugly and cheaply made.

Seriously. Lots of iPads locked up though!
  5. Gen3tix

Gen3tix iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I plan on purchasing an iPad from Target as well based on what I've read about their return policy.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but based on what I have gathered from various blogs and forums, customers have 90 days to return their opened product without having to pay a restocking fee. However, the policy on Target.com states that they only accept new, unused products for refund, and a 15% restocking fee on certain items such as portable electronics (which I am not sure if this applies to the iPad.)

If anyone could just clarify Target's return policy on iPads, I would greatly appreciate it. I certainly would like to purchase an iPad, but also want the reassurance that if any issues arise, I have the option to simply go to my nearest Target store and return my product for a full refund.
  6. BrennB

BrennB iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    iPad would fall into the portable electronics. If I were you I'd just ask up front how the return policy fits to the iPad.

Also, if you're a bestbuy rewards member you have a longer period for returns.. If I remember correctly you have 45 days and no restocking fees. But don't quote me!
  7. caver3d

caver3d iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where I live there are several Target stores. I originally bought the iPad at one store and returned it at another store and upgraded to the 3G. if one store is out of stock, usually 3 or 4 other stores have it.

caver3d
  8. Iamking

Iamking iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Target return policy is great I purchase mines from them but is had mark on It return it no questions ask. Went to another target and got a new one.:D
  9. caver3d

caver3d iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Exactly. There you go.

caver3d
  10. breckbd

breckbd iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Target Won't Accept Ipad Returns

I purchased an ipad and decided to return it a couple of weeks later but was told Target absolutely would not accept returns for electronics (espeically Ipads) that had been opened.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?
  11. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Take it back and talk to a manager. If they claim that's the policy, ask for a copy of the policy in writing. They will not be able to produce it because that's NOT their return policy. See below, with the most relevant caveat highlighted in red:

12. breckbd

breckbd iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info. They sent me away with an 800 number for their customer service. The person who answered the phone told me the same thing about their policy of NOT returning opened ipads.

Thanks again.
  13. jay7872

jay7872 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello.

I work at a target store in New York as an electronics Team Lead. i can assure you that Target accepts returns on Most items with the exception to opened food, under garments, dvds, video games, CDs, and computer programs. The ipad is considered a portable electronic device in our inventory, but regardless we will accept the ipad within 90 days of purchase with a receipt. There are some items that can be returned without a receipt but only if you charged it against your card, posses the card when you make your return, and if the item is not tied to a serial number. The reason being we cannot verify what the serial number on the actual unit was since it is recorded on the receipt. we can look up the transaction itself but that takes a great deal of time depending on the manager that is currently servicing the customer service department.

for those of you who brought your ipad right before the Ipad 2 announcment you have 90 days to return your current pad for a full refund. dont expect the ipad 2 to be landing in our stores for some time, as HQs is reporting we wont be expecting a shipment until at earliest ending of summer.
  14. Hrk3498

Hrk3498 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought an iPad from target about 2-3 weeks ago. I see the iPad 2 is coming out this Friday and was wondering if anyone knows if I would be able to take it back and exchange it for the iPad 2. It is still within the 90days and I have the receipt and box. I would appreciate any input.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  15. Torria

Torria iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I will go with the white 64 3G. For 100.00 more I can double my space its a no brainer for me. Who knows what I will find to do with this thing
  16. pastorsteve

pastorsteve iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I need a cover for my MacBook Pro 13. I'm going to check there first.
  17. laurieb

laurieb iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I called my Targets and asked about this, not that I really needed the Ipad 2 but if it worked fine.

I called 2 stores and they told me that they do not take open products back at all? They have a mobile thing at a Target and bring it there, but you will not get full refund??

Anybody else?

Laurie
  18. Thinkdifferent

Thinkdifferent iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've tried to return things there but there is only a $70 limit per transaction with out a receipt? Unless I was foiled. Hah
  19. jay7872

jay7872 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it has not been 90 days since you brought the item, and you still have your reciept, then you are still allowed to return the item back to the store, Targets return policy is 90 days with a receipt, of course you need all original accessories and the box along with the item..in terms of ipad, the sereial on the receipt must also match the one on the unit. They generally mention a %15 restocking fee but just claim it was defected, wifi was not working or something along the lines, and request a refund back. and yes if you lose a receipt, then you are limited to $70 refund
  20. JMcGrath

JMcGrath iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Returned an ipad today to a Target store that was purchased 12/19/10...so about 88 days ago. Was thinking about purchasing the warranty for it but read threads like this and decided to try to take it back so I could get the ipad 2 for the same price. Took it to the courtesy counter and returned it without a question asked. She asked if I wanted the refund back on the same card or a gift card.

I called a couple of Target stores prior to the return asking for their policy and received different answers, including one that said no return of open ipad box. This was discouraging but I thought I would try anyway.

There was NO restocking fee.

I did have the original box and all original accessories...everything in MINT condition. But the Target associate really didn't look at things that closely anyway.

Now I just have to wait for the ipad 2 to get in stock!

Just thought I would pass this along.