What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPads 2 or iPad 3?

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm getting an iPad mini 3 16gb wifi version tomorrow as a gift, but I would like more memory. Should I go for an iPad mini 2 with 32gb or third gen with 64? I don't see how it makes much difference as I can't sinc my iPad on the computer anyway.

OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I so with I included 'mini' in the title

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm getting an iPad mini 3 16gb wifi version tomorrow as a gift, but I would like more memory. Should I go for an iPad mini 2 with 32gb or third gen with 64? I don't see how it makes much difference as I can't sinc my iPad on the computer anyway.

Well, I would get the most recent iPad model and the most memory possible - in early December last year, I upgraded from an old iPad 2 to a 64 GB iPad Air 2 and have no regrets - whether you want the smaller screen of the Mini or the standard size is a personal decision.

And, you may want to explain the sync situation w/ your computer, i.e. if you are upgrading to a newer iPad and have the older model back upped to a computer, then an easy way to make the transition. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While I am usually a proponent of newest and most memory you can afford, I have to admit there is little to recommend the iPad Mini 3 over the iPad Mini 2. While Touch ID is addictive and handy, it's probably not worth settling for less storage.

So, if you're budget is forcing you to choose between an iPad Mini 3 and an iPad Mini 2 with more storage, I'd go without the 2. But if you can afford to go all out, then you'll probably be happiest if you do so. Touch ID sounds trivial, but it terribly handy for a lot of things. Just the ability to unlock your password app (you do have one, right?) is super useful.

That's if I was going to buy a Mini. As is I'm a full sized iPad guy, and at this point I'd settle for nothing less than a 64GB iPad Air 2 cellular ; 128 GB if I could scrape up the extra $100.

OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I've only had the iPad mini first gen for a few days. So not much to back up. It turns out there's a use driving missing for iTunes. So the pic can see the storage device, but iTunes can't see the iPad. Lots of advice for that on the web. As for the memory. I may just go for the 32gb mini 2 and get $50 in store credit.

OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I am usually a proponent of newest and most memory you can afford, I have to admit there is little to recommend the iPad Mini 3 over the iPad Mini 2. While Touch ID is addictive and handy, it's probably not worth settling for less storage.

So, if you're budget is forcing you to choose between an iPad Mini 3 and an iPad Mini 2 with more storage, I'd go without the 2. But if you can afford to go all out, then you'll probably be happiest if you do so. Touch ID sounds trivial, but it terribly handy for a lot of things. Just the ability to unlock your password app (you do have one, right?) is super useful.

That's if I was going to buy a Mini. As is I'm a full sized iPad guy, and at this point I'd settle for nothing less than a 64GB iPad Air 2 cellular ; 128 GB if I could scrape up the extra $100.

It's not so much budget. It's more it feels like the mini 3 is a ripoff. I don't need a finger print scanner. Although it would be cool not having to use my password in the App Store every five seconds.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not so much budget. It's more it feels like the mini 3 is a ripoff. I don't need a finger print scanner. Although it would be cool not having to use my password in the App Store every five seconds.

I don't blame you for this feeling. It's not completely unjustified, but I'll add my arguments for the scanner, just so the full story is told.

Passcode Security: It's always tempting to let security slide on an iPad or laptop. It's a pain to enter a password or even a passcode ever time you pick up the device. From what I'm seeing (both from myself and from what I hear other's say), Touch ID convinces people who used nothing to use passcode, and people who settled for a 4 digit passcode to use a full password. I'm in the second camp.

Web Security: 1Password and many other password apps now work directly in Safari and several third party browsers. This makes it easy to use longer, more complex passwords for your various website accounts. More importantly, it lets you easily use a different password for every site. In today's online world it's very risky to use the same password everywhere. All it takes is one security breach and your accounts can fall like a row of dominos.

Pure convenience. If you use a passcode or password it takes three steps to unlock your iPad: Tap the home button, swipe the screen, enter your passcode. If you forgo the security (for whatever reason) it's still two steps. Touch ID reduces this to one step (except after a restart) Press the home button, and leave your finger there for about half a second.

And some other minor reasons, like quicker purchases in some apps and the App & iTunes Stores themselves.

It's really hard to explain how Touch ID changes things. Before you have it, it seems like a trivial feature. After you have it you'll miss it on every other device you own. I still catch myself pressing the home button on my iPad and waiting for it to unlock, before I remember that I've only got that 'trivial' feature on my iPhone. :D

That 'all' said, I'm not really trying to talk you into getting the iPad Mini 3. I just want you to understand that while the feature may not be worth an extra $100 for any particular use or person, the feature itself is by no means a ripoff. It's a powerful and game changing tool. It's the future of every mobile device.

Ok, I'll stop now. :D

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks TP for the concise and lucid 'essay' above - enjoyed! :)

And let me support your opinion about the 'fingerprint technology' - when I purchased my iPad Air 2, the retina screen, increased storage, and interest in the fingerprint scan were some of my main priorities - I have absolutely adored the latter for the reasons given - just opening the device (w/ one of 3 fingers I have scanned) is a joy; and I've not used it for a lot more - also a great feature on wife's iPhone 6 but we yet have not tried Apple Pay when shopping - need to though! Dave

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks TP for the concise and lucid 'essay' above - enjoyed! :)

And let me support your opinion about the 'fingerprint technology' - when I purchased my iPad Air 2, the retina screen, increased storage, and interest in the fingerprint scan were some of my main priorities - I have absolutely adored the latter for the reasons given - just opening the device (w/ one of 3 fingers I have scanned) is a joy; and I've not used it for a lot more - also a great feature on wife's iPhone 6 but we yet have not tried Apple Pay when shopping - need to though! Dave
Totally agree re the fingerprint facility and its enjoyment. I was pleased to see that one can have the option to not only use another finger, but the iPad Air2 will also allow the fingerprint/s at an angle, eg if you hold the iPad horizontally it's convenient to touch the Home button at a 45 degree angle without having to twist the iPad...if that makes sense:)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Totally agree re the fingerprint facility and its enjoyment. I was pleased to see that one can have the option to not only use another finger, but the iPad Air2 will also allow the fingerprint/s at an angle, eg if you hold the iPad horizontally it's convenient to touch the Home button at a 45 degree angle without having to twist the iPad...if that makes sense:)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk
The Touch ID on the iPhone 5S and iPhones 6 and 6 Plus work in the same manner. You can place your thumb or finger at any angle on the scanner and it will work. This is much better than the swipe to scan systems used on other devices. We use a swipe to scan system to sign in at work and the repeated swiping wears out the scanner every few months.

Last edited:
OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't blame you for this feeling. It's not completely unjustified, but I'll add my arguments for the scanner, just so the full story is told.

Passcode Security: It's always tempting to let security slide on an iPad or laptop. It's a pain to enter a password or even a passcode ever time you pick up the device. From what I'm seeing (both from myself and from what I hear other's say), Touch ID convinces people who used nothing to use passcode, and people who settled for a 4 digit passcode to use a full password. I'm in the second camp.

Web Security: 1Password and many other password apps now work directly in Safari and several third party browsers. This makes it easy to use longer, more complex passwords for your various website accounts. More importantly, it lets you easily use a different password for every site. In today's online world it's very risky to use the same password everywhere. All it takes is one security breach and your accounts can fall like a row of dominos.

Pure convenience. If you use a passcode or password it takes three steps to unlock your iPad: Tap the home button, swipe the screen, enter your passcode. If you forgo the security (for whatever reason) it's still two steps. Touch ID reduces this to one step (except after a restart) Press the home button, and leave your finger there for about half a second.

And some other minor reasons, like quicker purchases in some apps and the App & iTunes Stores themselves.

It's really hard to explain how Touch ID changes things. Before you have it, it seems like a trivial feature. After you have it you'll miss it on every other device you own. I still catch myself pressing the home button on my iPad and waiting for it to unlock, before I remember that I've only got that 'trivial' feature on my iPhone. :D

That 'all' said, I'm not really trying to talk you into getting the iPad Mini 3. I just want you to understand that while the feature may not be worth an extra $100 for any particular use or person, the feature itself is by no means a ripoff. It's a powerful and game changing tool. It's the future of every mobile device.

Ok, I'll stop now. :D

After going to the Apple Store in Chicago I now own an IPad mini 3 64gb version in space gray. I may be hooked on the keyboard alone. Love the screen. Love 4:3 aspect ratio. Just have to find a way for it to play nice with iTunes.

OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad GPS for under $50 would be nice.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless you bought the cellular model, no GPS for you. :(

Well, there are a few you can connect to the iPad, but it's far from a good solution. Having to fire up two devices, make sure they are paired, and use one of the few apps that will work with it. Easier to just use the phone.

Most reactions