What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipadnot recognizing printer

Fuzzyduck4572

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my IPad since Christmas but still cannot print from it. I have HP 4500 wireless printer but I cannot convince the IPad to recognize the printer. Any ideas?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you look at Apple's list of AirPrint compatible printers, the HP4500 is not listed.

iOS: AirPrint 101

So, to print with this printer, you will need to use a third-party app, such as PrintCentral, which will allow you to use the AirPrint in-app print menu to print to more-or-less any printer. I use it on my iPad to print to a Samsung Color Laser Printer without any problems at all. PrintCentral cleverly 'inserts' itself as an AirPrint printer when you choose the Print menu from any app that supports in-app printing and then links to your wireless printer seamlessly. PrintCentral will also allow you to use non-wireless printers via your PC or Mac by using a small (free) app that you install on your PC.

If you try PrintCentral, one piece of advice. (a) you need iOS 4.2 at least (hardly a condition, since in-app printing was introduced with this OS revision) but (b) the PrintCentral app needs to be running in the background. When you say it like that, it's almost obvious, but it's easy to fire up a word processing app, say Apple's Pages, and then try and print from it without remembering that you need to have started PrintCentral to begin with....

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions