What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPadForums.net Upgrade Problems - Issues Thread

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It jumps in Safari on my iPad in the Image/Photo thread when the photos are still loading. Not always, sometimes.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the last couple of days the site has started jumping up and down a few times before the ads finish loading; as if it can't decide what size the adds are going to be. This is in Safari on the iMac. Doesn't do it on the iPad.

Hard on the eyes.

It jumps in Safari on my iPad in the Image/Photo thread when the photos are still loading. Not always, sometimes.
I've noticed it on my iPad as well, where the page keeps jumping as the photos load. It's annoying to have to wait for it to stop before you can read a thread with lots of photos.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've noticed it on my iPad as well, where the page keeps jumping as the photos load. It's annoying to have to wait for it to stop before you can read a thread with lots of photos.

Yes, I've noticed the jumping when there are a lot of photos. I was willing to live with that, as I'm pretty sure it would be hard to fix.

The jumping with ads happens on every page, and I'm almost certain it didn't do that before. I'm hoping it's just a CSS line or two for the ad blocks that needs tweaking.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed the jumping when there are a lot of photos. I was willing to live with that, as I'm pretty sure it would be hard to fix.

The jumping with ads happens on every page, and I'm almost certain it didn't do that before. I'm hoping it's just a CSS line or two for the ad blocks that needs tweaking.
I haven't noticed any jumping with adds. I wonder why not everyone experiences it. I wonder if it could have something to do with the Internet connection and whether or not you're using a cellular data connection or WiFi?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any jumping with adds. I wonder why not everyone experiences it. I wonder if it could have something to do with the Internet connection and whether or not you're using a cellular data connection or WiFi?

Does not happen on the iPad, only in Safari on the iMac; which is normally fast. I haven't tested any other browsers.

I suspect it is the difference in the types of ads being served. On the iPad the ad above the posts is always a text ad. On the Mac it's a banner ad.

What happens is that the ad starts out blank at a certain hight, then it bumps the hight up by about a quarter inch, causing all the content to jump down, then it bumps it back down to the original size and loads the banner; and all the content jumps back up.

I suspect it has do do with a combination of browser type detection and serving different ad types depending on the browser detected. And doing this while the page is loading instead of before.

To some extent it is a matter of internet speed, and/or the website's speed. If it all happens fast enough it's barely noticeable, but if the page is loading slower, for any reason, it ends up happening when you're already trying to read the posts.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've noticed that pages in the forum are taking longer to load than a few days ago. Maybe the way the forum displays adds and photos is being tweaked.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is also kind of random. Happens one time, and then not the next. I thought it was dependent on the ad loading, but not. The same ad will or won't do it, for no apparent reason.

So, I'm now at a loss as to the possible cause. I'd just go back to using the iPad, but I like my big screen and full keyboard; at least when I'm in a chatty mood.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A question:
When I tap to get to the last post of a thread, I often arrive somewhere in the middle of the page before the last post. Especially if it's a thread with many posts, or pictures. Does this only happen to me, or does someone else experience this as well?

Edit: and now, as I try again, it only happens in a few threads - of course. :confused:

I'm experiencing this in the threads with attachments.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where are you seeing 'Last Post'? The closest I can remember seeing is Go to First Unread Post.
When I see the threads, I tap the time under the last member's user name, and this should direct me to the last post of a thread:
image.jpg

Those with attachments don't manage to load the last post, they stop somewhere before it.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna, told you you're a genius! You figure everything out that most of us just live with, you find an easy way to get around things!
Diane.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna, told you you're a genius! You figure everything out that most of us just live with, you find an easy way to get around things!
Diane.
I'm only trying to find out what's possible. :oops:

Last edited:

Most reactions