What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad4 Wireless Broadband Download Speed

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a limit on wireless Download speed achievable on Ipad4?

I achieve a speed of 55mbps at my wired IMac,but can only get a speed of about 35mbps at my iPad!

Comments please

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Nael - not unexpected at all - first, you need to tell us 'where' the iPad was located when its Wi-Fi speed was checked, e.g. next to your wireless router or in another room - distance and potential interference can degrade speed.

For myself, I'm on a 100 Mbps T-W (now Spectrum) cable plan - my iMac is cabled via ethernet and just tested w/ a 85 Mbps DL speed; my router, an older Apple Extreme, is transmitting in the 2.4 MHz band at 218 Mbps (not a limiting issue) - also tested my MBAir & iPad Air 2 w/ the devices next to the router - their respective Wi-Fi DL speeds were 58.4 Mbps & 42.9 Mbps, respectively (see pics below) - when I use these wireless devices in my den (one room away), the DL speeds drop by at least a third. SO, don't really expect identical speeds - your cabled machine will typically show the maximal speeds possible depending on your ISP plan.

Now another interesting app is Sweetspots (last pic) on my iPad - testing in my den - notice the rather wide variation in Wi-Fi speeds (i.e. 20 to 50 Mbps in this test) - this app can be used to test your home network, especially if 'drop-outs' exist that may suggest the need for an extender or a second router? Dave :)
iMacCabled.PNG
MacBAir.png
iPadAir2.PNG
Sweetspots.PNG

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave,...your comments help,in that I probably cannot expect more.
My iPad was located in the next room to my router,however my android phone in same room. registered 45+Mbps.
I will give your mentioned app a go...will give a bit more info.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As Dave mentioned, there are lots of factors that determin your maximum download (connection) seed. However, the wi-fi modem in your iPad does have a top speed. Laptop usully have faster modems, simply because they have more pysical space, both for newer hardware (which is usually bulkier than later generations), and better antennas.

Most reactions

Latest posts