What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad4 WiFi Failure

galvin2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi hardware in my 3 week old IPad 4 has failed. Apple UK very helpful~due to be picked up and replaced with a new one (personalised and with backup installed).
Is this a rare event? Concerning that such an apparantly high quality item should fail so quickly.

MapleNuts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is unusual, but considering how many iPads are produced and sold in so many countries throughout the world, it would come to reason that there would be a percentage of defective units, no matter how small that number. Maybe it was made on a Monday or a Friday :eek:

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WiFi hardware in my 3 week old IPad 4 has failed. Apple UK very helpful~due to be picked up and replaced with a new one (personalised and with backup installed).
Is this a rare event? Concerning that such an apparantly high quality item should fail so quickly.

Not very common at all....
I guess I have to ask.....how do you know it's "failed"? Was it completely dead or intermittent?

OP
G

galvin2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It could see my Network but would not join it. Spent over an hour on phone with the Sunderland Centre and (after the usual checks) down-loaded complete new software to prove it was not a software fault.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It could see my Network but would not join it. Spent over an hour on phone with the Sunderland Centre and (after the usual checks) down-loaded complete new software to prove it was not a software fault.

Just wondering as most often it's a router issue.
Glad to see Apple continues with great customer service.

Enjoy your new iPad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I'm not sure how this proves your wifi is bad. Did you try to connect to any other wifi routers?

OP
G

galvin2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This satisfied the Apple IT Bod. It would not connect to another router. Other PC's would connect to my router.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Will await return (or hopefully replacement).

I hope it works...sometimes when people can't find the problem they take the easy option and just decide the hardware is bad. The only problem with this approach is that if they hardware isn't bad the replacement device may show the same problems. Let's hope you don't get in some loop like that....it's not fun.

OP
G

galvin2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It arrived back yesterday. Apple say they could not duplicate the problem but it worked at once back here. However I unhooked WPA-PSK security late last week whilst installing a Netgear range extender. Perhaps I won't reinstate it (I live in an isolated area) and this was the problem. Maybe one of the "Apple IT Bod" on phone checks should be to delete security during the test.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kind of what several of us suggested..........
Normally related to your router and/or settings not the iPad.

Glad to hear you got it working though.

Most reactions

Latest posts