What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad4 doesn't Bluetooth with iPhone 6

TimmiAndi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad4 & iPhone 6 wouldn't connect by Bluetooth on iOS 7 so I switched to iOS9.0.2 but they still won't connect. The circle 'Searching' icon turns but stops without connecting.

Is there a setting I can change/what can I do

TIA

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no support for direct iOS device to iOS device Bluetooth pairing, at least not in the Bluetooth settings. There are things that two iOS devices can do to communicate with each other that uses some Bluetooth (AirDrop), but it's all in the background. You won't find any pairing options.

What are you trying to do? There is probably way to do it, either using a different feature or a third party app.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What you'll find in Settings, is in Wi-Fi. You can use one of the devices as a personal hotspot for the other one.
image.jpeg

OP
T

TimmiAndi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no support for direct iOS device to iOS device Bluetooth pairing, at least not in the Bluetooth settings. There are things that two iOS devices can do to communicate with each other that uses some Bluetooth (AirDrop), but it's all in the background. You won't find any pairing options.

What are you trying to do? There is probably way to do it, either using a different feature or a third party app.

OP
T

TimmiAndi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Notes and Contacts are updated on the other one almost immediately I assumed it was by Bluetooth, but most texts don't go from phone to iPad. Can I get & send texts on my iPad as well as the phone.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As Notes and Contacts are updated on the other one almost immediately I assumed it was by Bluetooth, but most texts don't go from phone to iPad. Can I get & send texts on my iPad as well as the phone.

On your phone go to settings - Messages and turn on text message forwarding (see pic below).

2bd0d0c437b19fe093c0e0fc3177986f.jpg

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Notes, Contacts, and most of Apple's other apps sync through your internet connection (and iCloud if you are using it). In most ways this is better than Bluetooth, since your devices don't need to be within 40ft (Bluetooth's maximum range) to stay in sync.

Texts are trickier, since you are actually dealing with two different services. Anything sent entirely between iOS devices should show up on both, since Messages will use Apple's own iMessages service.

However, your iPhone acn also use standard SMS from your carrier, and will do so automatically when you send or receive a message from someone who is not on an iOS device.

Since your iPad does not have a cellphone number (one you can receive cell phone calls on), it won't receive SMS messages directly.

Newer iPads and iPhones get around this by re-routing SMS messages received on your phone back through iMessages and to your iPad. This is what rasmith is showing you. I don't remember if the iPad 4 can do this, but can't think of any reason why not.

As you see from the instructions, it has to be enabled in the iPhone's settings.

This also works through your internet connection on both devices.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad 4 can do this.
Every iPad with iOS 8.1 or later installed can send and receive SMS (Text Message Forwarding), it works from iPad 2 onwards.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts