What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad3 ios5.1 jalibroken and Kingston pendrive with CCK?

colilo_micoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,

First of all let me tell you this is my first post here so please bear with me a bit if this is all known and stupid.
I tend to put stupid questions anyway :)

I have a new ipad3 with iOS 5.1 and have already jalibroken it, instaled Cydia and iFile. I also have the
CCK and several Kingston pendrives. I have tried to connect them to the ipad to no avail.
The fact is that reading elsewhere in many places it is said that after connecting the pendrive and
starting iFile, one should see the Flash drive on the left panel right under Disk in Devices section, and
that the pendrive will appear under /var/mnt.

Well the fact is that I don't see the pendrive listed on the left panel and... I have no /var/mnt. There is a /var directory,
but *not* mnt under it. There is a /mnt right at /, but not under /var.

So how to proceed from here? Has anybody around here managed to mount the pendrive under ipad3+iOS5.1?
If so... how?

Thanks a lot.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think you have run into the power limitations of the iPad (and it's 30-pin dock). This is a hardware issue and cannot be fixed with software such as a jail break.

Apple lowered the power of the 30-pin dock back in iOS 4.x. So, most USB storage devices won't work. They need power to run and the iPad can't provide enough. So, they don't work - which is why you don't see it in the left column.

What people have ended up doing is switching over to using SD cards, which work for cards up to 32GB (so far). They usually make the switch after trying every USB stick they have. Very rarely has anyone reported that a newer stick works with the iPad and the CCK.

So, the advice here is to abandon hope for a USB stick and switch to SD cards. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
C

colilo_micoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I saw the sticky post (which is the first one btw) but somehow after reading that I had the feeling it didn't apply because I can not even see the device under /var/mnt...
Thanks you both for your advice. Moving to SD card is something to explore. Still the nice thing about pendrives is that you carry them in your pocket and cennect it to
every PC/Mac in the world.
One solution I can try is a microSD on a microSD-to-USB plug. I'll try that and see what comes out...
Thx again for the advices :)

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically, if you want to see your "pendrive" on the iPad you've got to supply external power to it. Look at yof's thread. Lot's of good suggestions there for doing so.

OP
C

colilo_micoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes ok but my plan is to have a pendrive that I can plug into the ipad and into my computer without any added hassle.
Yesterday I tried the solution of a microSD on a microSD USB reader and that worked wonderfuly :)
That way you build your own pendrive, and it works on the ipad and the PC. That's one nice solution that works for me at least :)
Thanks.

Most reactions