What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad3 3G carrier locked

TAZ003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody!
I recently bought an iPad3 64Gb WiFi 4G locked with Verizon carrier. Can anyone, please, tell me if I could use 3G with a different carrier back in Europe? I've been reading all sort of contradictory answers, saying that an AT&T locked iPad would work, while a Verizon locked one wouldn't and so on and so forth. I'm not going to the States, so I will not have the possibility to activate it there first, and then move to Europe. Do I need to work my way around any additional settings? Thank you very much in advance for your support!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the new iPad, whether it's Verizon or AT&T (for the USA) comes with a sim card slot. So, you should be able to remove the Verizon sim card and insert one for the European country and provider that you want. Obviously, you'll have to sign up for a plan, but this was Apple's way of making the iPad truly universal.

I can be corrected, but I'm pretty sure that, outside the USA, there is no difference between a Verizon and an AT&T iPad - for the new iPad (iPad3) only.

Marilyn

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The iPads do not come locked. You can replace the simcard with another providers sim card and start using it.
The only thing you need to be aware of is the frequencies that the iPads use.

The verizon and ATT iPad 3 are in fact different by what frequencies they can use. ATT iPad 3 does not have frequencies for Verizon so if you put a verizon sim inside it will say it does not work, however the Verizon iPad has frequencies that ATT uses for 3G so putting an ATT sim in Verizon iPad will give 3G service not 4G.

Look at what frequencies your iPad model works on, then pick a carrier that uses those frequencies.

Also keep in mind that if the carrier does not offer iPad data plans you have a 50/50 chance of it working. For example I had a T-Mobile simcard in my 1st generation iPad and could get Edge speeds (slower than 3G) however since T-Mobile does not offer iPad data plans, after about 2 months they started blocking iPads.

OP
T

TAZ003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your support! I started this thread because I always had the option to purchase an iPad 3 factory unlocked. However, by mistake, I ended up with this Verizon locked version. So I kind of freaked out...Since I have about 1 month till I get the chance to reach a civilized country and test it, all I cand do is pray that it's going to work. Will keep you posted on the outcome...;)

Most reactions

Latest posts