1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ipad2screen bleeding

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Freebo, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Freebo

Freebo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all

Do you think the screen bleeding on the ipad2 issue issue ?

I wonder how many people have the problem ?

I bought a black one and it has screen bleeding so I returned it and got a new one but same issue.

So is it really a problem and how many people have it and put up with it ?

Im not sure if to keep this one or return it or even if it was just a wrong batch.
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    Many people have this issue and you'll see plenty of posts in the iPad2 section on this problem. Also look in the News section for Maura's report. Apple has sort-of officially recognised the problem as you've seen by exchanging the iPads with no questions asked.

Some reports indicated that the problem was due to the thermo-setting adhesive used to secure the screens on the iPad2 - the iPad1 had clips instead - and that this adhesive takes some time to 'cure' (set). Some members with this problem have opted to wait a while to see if, indeed, the problem does disappear after a while - the iPads will be exchanged by Apple during the warranty period, so there's no hurry.

Tim
    Scotland
  3. gforeman

gforeman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, MANY have this problem.

Here is some reading if you have time:
    Apple - Support - Discussions - Significant light leakage, few light ...

One user said he put some books on it, and left it for a while he was out of town, and it seems ot have fixed it. Worth a try.

Mine is due here next week. Any light leak will be unacceptable, as my iPad 1 does not do this. I realize it may take a while until Apple sorts this out, but I would at least log a case with Apple, so you can get it fixed when they get a solution.
  4. ipaduser434

ipaduser434 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looking at my iP2 screen when powering up or down, I can see a few lighter sections along the edges. I guess that's light leakage. Never noticeable at any other time, even when using an app that has a black background.

The other night, I happened to notice the same thing on my LCD computer monitor while powering down the system. Doesn't appear any other time.

For me, it's not an issue because when I'm actually doing something, the graphics are fantastic.
  5. iRager

iRager iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I wouldnt worry about this too much, mine has this bleeding and the only time I noticed it was when i read about the issue and actually tested it, otherwise I wouldn't have really noticed.

If it does bother you, you have 12 months to return it :)
  6. madhatter61

madhatter61 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Slight yellow back light bleeding

I picked up a white iPad2 a couple of weeks ago ... and noticed a slight yellow flare around the home button at first (only noticeable when first turning on while the screen is essential dark. Some other minor spots ... not nearly as extensive ... the one around the home button was about the size of a nickel.

Now after two weeks of doing nothing ... they are gone... all of them. Your guess is as good as mine as to why they disappeared. Never even saw the effect in normal usage, however. IMHO. Quit worrying.

Like another poster mentioned, Apple gives you up to a year of ownership and will replace it for you if it is an issue for you. Can't beat that with a stick, now can you.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  7. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
  8. owenmorris

owenmorris iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guy's I phoned my local Apple store today and mentioned this problem, I do have a little bleeding but nothing that would of bothered me had I not seen the threads about it. To my surprise the guy on the phone says he has never heard of an issue with the screens and suggested I make an appointment with a genius so as soon as I can I will make a visit to store but it's like 25 miles so I will wait till stocks are better so am not wasting my time if they exchange this unit.

Owen
  9. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Talk about outta the loop. Perhaps that staff was new.
  10. owenmorris

owenmorris iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's what I thought lol
  11. Valium618

Valium618 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys after reading this, I too have screen bleeding its kinda well, unnoticeable unless your looking at a damn black screen. -.- Its about the whole size of a dime, and just so everyone knows these are liquid crystal displays meaning that they react to light waves sent through them. They are just liquid crystal smashed between two pieces of glass and then have a light with their reactive wavelengths on one side. the light turns on at a special frequency and causes different shades of light to be produced. The (bleeding) your seeing is pretty much going to be there no matter what if you have it cranked to the highest brightness setting possible (as seen in the Jpg up there) Its almost completely unnoticeable if its set to lower brightness settings. Now, does anyone notice that its primarily on the left side? This is because that is where the primary light bar is that activates the crystals so we can see whats going on on our crack-pads. Unless its very noticeable and starting to cause color distortion, or making it hard to see the screen I wouldn't put much thought into it. but that's my two cents, I'm contacting apple to see what they are doing about it and if it is linked to any lights burning out causing some black lines or burnout. id suggest not to fret and turn your brightness to 50% and see if its still there if it is get it replaced if it isn't good for you. sides, who needs it at 100% your melt your retinas doing that dingdongs, mmmmmm ding dongs....:D

-Source, I.T. Professional
  12. STi

STi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok...This is somewhat normal on all lcd's....If it's worth anything my ipad 1 had minor leakage but to day has none.....My ipad has some minor leakage worst spot right side of home button....The other spots are pretty much gone....odd but hopefully the main spot goes away....Nothing really to worry about...These aren't plasma or super amoled...Most LCD's do this.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  13. Freebo

Freebo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi thank you for the replies. I'm not sure if I should keep the iPad but I love it so much it's hard to return. It seems it is a bigger issue around the world after reading more about it.

I thought maybe it was just a batch that was delivered here but it seems not

Thanks again for your assistance and comments
  14. STi

STi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your new one could be worst...If you can live with it keep it atleast for the 30day return period.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  15. owenmorris

owenmorris iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guy's has anybody in the UK actually had any sense from their apple store reference light bleeding, I have phoned my local store at metro centre and it's as if they not aware of any problems and that I should book an appointment to see a genius. What I want to know is when they will get stock in so as I can take my iPad back as it's like 50 mile round trip and don't want to waste my time and fuel.
  16. Gunny008

Gunny008 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Probably best to ring them and see if they have the model you want and if they do, then it will be safe to drive.
  17. Freebo

Freebo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It would be interesting to see the % of people who do not have bleeding issues to people who do.

And if it's a batch issue or limited to countries.
  18. Mklooster

Mklooster iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got my iPad 2 yesterday and I was concerned with all of this backlight bleeding talk, but so far I have only noticed it a tiny bit in the bottom right corner of my device. I have also heard that this is due to Apple not giving the glue enough time to settle and dry all of the way, and that this problem should fix itself within a couple of weeks. Overall though I really love the new iPad and I was extremely fortunate to get one.
  19. owenmorris

owenmorris iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Update:
    Hi guys spoke with apple again today and they are replacing my iPad, today was the first time I got an admission from a member of apple that there is a problem with some iPads probably first batch, what he actually said is they are rushed out from factory that quick some of the adhesive has not had time to fully dry and most will correct themselves in time. I can keep or replace my unit.

I must say this is my first apple product and I am well impressed with my iPad and think customer service is excellent actually seems it's a company that cares....

Owen

PS tnx to this great forum to been very helpful
  20. Mklooster

Mklooster iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are right that apple has great customer service all of my experiences with apple have been terrific they really know how to keep me buying their products rather than windows.