What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2's Limited Operating System

toglenn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’ve had my iPad2 for less than a month and have come to the conclusion that it has a lot of potential but is severely limited by its poor operating system. Many Apps use work-a-round methods to try to correct some of the numerous restrictions but many of these are awkward in operation.

I believe these limitations were intentional in accordance to Steve Job’s Apple policy. Granted he was a great business man and forward thinking entrepreneur who greatly impacted the communications world of today but he was also a control freak who jealously guarded his Apple world from outside competition. He put great emphasis style and limited functionality where it strayed from his domain.

Don’t get me wrong, my first computer was an Apple II+ which I bought in the early 80’s and got great production from it using Multiplex for numerous spread functions for business and adapting 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party software for use in Ham radio applications but when IBM came out with the PC my Apple went on the shelf and still sits there today, gathering dust. When new tablets are introduced with the Windows 8 OS it will become crystal clear how limited the iPad2 OS really is.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What restrictions have you encountered? For sure, iOS is different to Windows but 'vive le difference'!

Tim

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Being a PC user myself I can see why you feel that way. I understand that Apple does things differently and I dont agree with all their policies. That being said, in the tablet world right now there isnt an Android system that I'd be happy with. I just bought an ipad2 after some research and shopping. I played with them all, tried other peoples, etc, etc. I see why people like the iPads so much: They just "work" right and feel very well sorted out. The android tablets seem slapped together and while they have some great features, they just arent as well developed or as stable.

I understood what I was getting with the iPad2 and what I was not getting with the iPad2. Not saying you didnt, but Ive accepted some of the "lock-down" that Apple enforces. However, I was willing to trade that for a more stable platform and zillions of tab-specific apps and the best interface out there.

As for Windows 8 tablet systems - it will be interesting to see what they come up with. But, for what me and my family need, the iPad2 was the easy choice. At some point, I might even have a windows 8 tab. Who knows?

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When new tablets are introduced with the Windows 8 OS it will become crystal clear how limited the iPad2 OS really is.

What, an operating system designed to work on a phone is more limited than a full-blown OS designed for workstations? Call the Department of Under-Handedness, Tablet Computer Division! Their phone number is WELL-DUH, the person you'll need to speak to is Capt. Obveeus.

How restricted is it compared to actual rivals like Android? Yeah, that's what I thought.

If you were expecting full-pc performance from an iPad, I can understand your disappointment. What I can't understand is how you didn't know that before you bought one, since it's mentioned pretty much constantly - most iPad users can't sit still for more than 2 minutes without some blowhard plopping down to explain in lengthy detail how it's not a computer. Next you'll complain about how you didn't know Flash wasn't supported.

Sell the iPad, get your Windows 8 tablet, be happy. Don't complain about the heavier weight, larger size, reduced battery life, viruses and such, okay?

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a warning. All rude, disrespectful, and useless posts will be deleted from here on out and appropriate sanctions issued. This is a discussion board. Do so like adults, please.

Last Warning to all who decide to post here.

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
This is a warning. All rude, disrespectful, and useless posts will be deleted from here on out and appropriate sanctions issued. This is a discussion board. Do so like adults, please.

Last Warning to all who decide to post here.

Well said! I completely agree!!!!! Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, whether positive or not for our beloved iPad :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How restricted is it compared to actual rivals like Android? Yeah, that's what I thought...

Actually, iOS is quite restricted compared to Android. But it's not because iOS is a "poor" operating system. The restrictions stem from conscious design decisions, priorities, and inevitable compromises that are part of the entire "design" process. Apple places severe constraints on multitasking compared to Android, for example. That can be annoying and frustrating but it also means that devices like the iPhone and iPad don't suffer from the lags and unpredictable performance that can occur in an Android device when multiple applications compete for cpu cycles. That problem can be solved with a faster processor and more ram. Google is largely agnostic about that issue since they don't manufacture hardware. (Or at least they didn't when Android was developed.) Apple, on the other hand, is faced with designing an os to run on relatively inexpensive, low power processors. To make a device with long battery life and consistent performance, the obvious answer is to limit multitasking in the OS. Android devices have much greater access to background processing (especially valuable in widgets) and a much greater range of customized application launchers. Those features, however, mean that two identical devices may perform very differently. Apple avoids that. Likewise, Android devices enable selection of many different keyboards. But divorcing the keyboard from the OS and treating it as an app is relatively inefficient. No problem if there is sufficient processing power but a big problem if the hardware has performance constraints.

Likewise, the design of iOS (and the devices on which it runs) resulted in the absence of a common data store that can be accessed by multiple applications. That can be a PITA in several ways. It means redundant storage when two applications each have copies of the same data object. It also means that eliminating a data object requires deleting every copy of a file stored with and controlled by individual apps. But it also means that one of the major vulnerabilities to viruses and malware is plugged in iOS. Since the OS leaves management of files to individual apps, it means the opportunity for a virus to "spread" throughout the system is largely eliminated.

Personally, I'm a long time Windows, Unix, and Linux user. And I've been using an Android device for over two years. I appreciate the features those platforms provide. But I also understand why Apple makes the decisions they make. And for the most part those decisions are not based on Steve Jobs' reputation as a "control freak." They're reasonable compromises that make it possible for Apple to deliver a consistent user experience in the hardware Apple manufactures. I use Windows 7 every day and thank the Lord I was finally able to escape from Vista. But even with the vast improvements of Windows 7 I reboot my computers running that OS more often in a week than I've had to with my iPad in nine months. And I appreciate the customization I have with my Android smartphone. But with that "freedom" comes a considerably greater "system maintenance" burden than with my iPad.

Again, design is a process of setting priorities and making compromises. Apple has a clear strategy with their iOS devices. Google has a very different strategy for Android. And Microsoft is striving mightily to provide a common os for devices from phones to quad core high performance desktops. Microsoft will face the need for compromises as well. In a year or so, we can all see how well they resolve those compromises.

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad 2 for approximately 2 months. I also researched nearly every higher rated tablet being sold and tried out most of them. I chose the iPad because it was easy to use, comfortable and offered many options that just worked for me. I didn't expect it to be 'perfect' but I was hoping it would meet my needs at this time...and it has, and more. That doesn't mean that something else won't come along in the future that will work better. After all technology is always changing and mostly improving.
I am sorry to hear that you are so unhappy with your iPad. It is a lot of money to spend for something that isn't working for you. Not every device is perfect for everyone. Hopefully you can sell it and purchase a tablet that will better meet your needs.
Please let us know which tablet you purchase that works better for you.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Elliern said:
I have had my iPad 2 for approximately 2 months. I also researched nearly every higher rated tablet being sold and tried out most of them. I chose the iPad because it was easy to use, comfortable and offered many options that just worked for me. I didn't expect it to be 'perfect' but I was hoping it would meet my needs at this time...and it has, and more. That doesn't mean that something else won't come along in the future that will work better. After all technology is always changing and mostly improving.
I am sorry to hear that you are so unhappy with your iPad. It is a lot of money to spend for something that isn't working for you. Not every device is perfect for everyone. Hopefully you can sell it and purchase a tablet that will better meet your needs.
Please let us know which tablet you purchase that works better for you.

Excellent post......and research is definitely the key.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve had my iPad2 for less than a month and have come to the conclusion that it has a lot of potential but is severely limited by its poor operating system. Many Apps use work-a-round methods to try to correct some of the numerous restrictions but many of these are awkward in operation.

I believe these limitations were intentional in accordance to Steve Job’s Apple policy. Granted he was a great business man and forward thinking entrepreneur who greatly impacted the communications world of today but he was also a control freak who jealously guarded his Apple world from outside competition. He put great emphasis style and limited functionality where it strayed from his domain.

Don’t get me wrong, my first computer was an Apple II+ which I bought in the early 80’s and got great production from it using Multiplex for numerous spread functions for business and adapting 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party software for use in Ham radio applications but when IBM came out with the PC my Apple went on the shelf and still sits there today, gathering dust. When new tablets are introduced with the Windows 8 OS it will become crystal clear how limited the iPad2 OS really is.

Toglenn--

I understand your statement. I initially had the Acer Iconia A500 and used it religiously for ~5 weeks before I returned it. I had my concerns about the lack of USB port, memory expansion and flash issues with the Ipad-so that was why I went the direction I did. I really liked the android system--but it I found it needed more time to stabilize itself and have a greater rate of success after Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean is out and in use. The highly anticipated honeycomb update from 3.0 to 3.1 created problems of "bricking" etc--that really concerned me, since I am not one that wanted to "patch, jailbreak, etc," to work around the problem.

I returned the android for an Ipad2. The user interface-is simply more reliable, stable and user friendly for me. I can rely on my wifi connection anywhere in my house. That was an issue for many with the other tablet. I liked the a500, but did not feel entirely comfortable with what I needed to do to make things work. With the Ipad2-the process is seamless and easy. All things are apparent on this system compared to my former.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Toglenn--

I understand your statement. I initially had the Acer Iconia A500 and used it religiously for ~5 weeks before I returned it. I had my concerns about the lack of USB port, memory expansion and flash issues with the Ipad-so that was why I went the direction I did. I really liked the android system--but it I found it needed more time to stabilize itself and have a greater rate of success after Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean is out and in use. The highly anticipated honeycomb update from 3.0 to 3.1 created problems of "bricking" etc--that really concerned me, since I am not one that wanted to "patch, jailbreak, etc," to work around the problem.

I returned the android for an Ipad2. The user interface-is simply more reliable, stable and user friendly for me. I can rely on my wifi connection anywhere in my house. That was an issue for many with the other tablet. I liked the a500, but did not feel entirely comfortable with what I needed to do to make things work. With the Ipad2-the process is seamless and easy. All things are apparent on this system compared to my former.

Most of your points are exactly why I went with the iPad2. I was pretty much set on NOT buying an iPad since I wanted the "freedom" of the more open Android OS. However, research and feedback pushed me towards the Apple tablets. Even though Ive only had mine for 24 hours, I KNOW I made the right decision.

The biggest problem I have with the iPad2 is the fact that my two daughters and wife are already fighting over who gets to use it. I told them to go buy their own..... hehehehehehe :D

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of your points are exactly why I went with the iPad2. I was pretty much set on NOT buying an iPad since I wanted the "freedom" of the more open Android OS. However, research and feedback pushed me towards the Apple tablets. Even though Ive only had mine for 24 hours, I KNOW I made the right decision.

The biggest problem I have with the iPad2 is the fact that my two daughters and wife are already fighting over who gets to use it. I told them to go buy their own..... hehehehehehe :D

S2mikey--that is funny, you really should get one for EACH of them...Xmas is coming soon! They really would love it! I love mine. I found it very funny that when I purchased the a500, I realized that even though it had flash support-it could not play those dreaded, beloved games on Facebook: Farmville, Cityville, etc!! What a ruckus this created for many android users who purchased it in order to play some of their beloved games. There were many posts on the android forums as to work arounds for this. I go on this forum, and I see nothing about Farmville. Maybe it is passe for our apple fans and they have now moved on to Dragonvale!! Anyways, glad that you made your decision, and hope the best for our OP, Toglenn!

Most reactions