What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 vs Mac air or pro

jdesmarteau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning. I just found this forum. I have had an iPad for a year. I use it for email, surfing the Internet and iBook app, personal use. I would like to be able to create documents. So my thought is that I need a laptop, ie. Mac air or Mac pro. I would appreciate some opinions on which product is preferred.
Thanks, jdesmarteau

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My choice, and if money were not an issue; I would get The Macbook Pro, probably the middle or big one.

The iPad and Macbook Air comes too close to the same niche as the iPad, sacrificing features for extra mobility. With the Macbook Pro and the iPad together you get the widest spread of portable features without sacrificing the ability to pick up and go somewhere else. You can still use the iPad for instant access, read in bed, and other stuff. You can use the Macbook Pro to access when more power is needed, or you need to read a CD or DVD (not quite extinct formats), or need extra ports, etc.

Then again, if money 'really' didn't matter, I'd probably have one of each. :D

OP
jdesmarteau

jdesmarteau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your input.
I had posted another question that you might be able to answer. Can Java be loaded on to the iPad. I am able to log on to my work virtual office on our home PC. I tried to do it with my iPad but was unable to because it required Java. I was able figure out that there is a Mac version of Java but does it apply to the iPad? I appreciate your time and have a good day.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry. You can not run Java on the iPad.

You can use one of several Remote Desktop apps to remotely control your desktop from the iPad, and run Java second hand. Splashtop is popular.

Or you might try the Opera Mini Browser in the App Store. It's been known to work with a few Java sites. It actually runs the browser on a remote server, then repackages for mobile devices. So Java is not actually running on the iPad.

OP
jdesmarteau

jdesmarteau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you again for your ideas. Unfortunately neither worked. I actually consulted the head of our IT department. They actually added a bookmark for "Mac access" but it still required a version of Java. At this point they could not assist me. I am disappointed but I will live. I think I have decided to trade up to the ipad2. I have truly loved my iPad. I love the touch screen and the amazing portability. I will just continue to use my husbands laptop or our PC for virtual office access. Not a huge sacrifice .

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. No platform is good for everything.

I like my iPad 2, and Java or not it's a pretty useful device.

Most reactions

Latest posts