What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 (soft) Volume slider knob missing

tpeterse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can not get sound out of my speakers...

iPad 2 iOS 5.0.1

Manual (hard) swich set to "Lock direction"
Soft swich set to "ON"

Speakers are silent, and the knob on the soft volumecontroll slider is not visible.
Fiddeling whith the hardware soundswich gives no response.

Have tried rebooting and reinstalling whitout result.

When plugging in headphones the soft volume slider knob reappears letting me slide volume up and down. Once unplugged the knob vanishes leaving onely the slot.

Have tried to enter setup and set the manual svich to "Volume on/off"
Flicking the button gives me the bell showing Volume on/off and level, but still no sound.
"Hard" volumswich gives no response, and the soft knob is still missing.

The onely sound I can lure out of the pad is a small "beep" at startup.

PS I have Norwegian menues on my pad. References to setup choices are translated, and might be inaccurate.

Anybody got a solution ?

OP
T

tpeterse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suppose so. Reinstalled from iTunes bouth system and backup.

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Been doing some searching, I can't believe how many people have this problem.

Found the following four common fixes, the most popular fix was to clean the dock connector.

1. Just plug your device to a pc, wait for about 10 minutes then your sound will go back to normal.

2. Try cleaning the bottom 30-pin contacts (dock) with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol

3. Play a tune on the device and repeatedly plug and unplug the earphones about 10 to 15 times

4. The new iPad doesn't like having the headphone jack suddenly disconnected while playing an audio source. The solution was to connect headphones, start playing music through the device, and then PAUSE the music. Disconnect the device while the sound is paused, and the problem is corrected. All normal sounds and volume slider returned.

Hope one of the above solutions helps.

Last edited:

txteevee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.filmandmediaent.com
followthesapper said:

Found the following four common fixes, the most popular fix was to clean the dock connector.

1. Just plug your device to a pc, wait for about 10 minutes then your sound will go back to normal.

2. Try cleaning the bottom 30-pin contacts (dock) with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol

3. Play a tune on the device and repeatedly plug and unplug the earphones about 10 to 15 times

4. The new iPad doesn't like having the headphone jack suddenly disconnected while playing an audio source. The solution was to connect headphones, start playing music through the device, and then PAUSE the music. Disconnect the device while the sound is paused, and the problem is corrected. All normal sounds and volume slider returned.

Thanks! I bought a new AC cord and was using my iPad WITH IT ON CHARGE in another room in my house. This particular cord obviously acts like a dock??? Anyhoo, when i unplugged my iPad the slider knob re-appeared. Weird... the cord in my bedroom charges without this happening. I was almost about to reset and restore my iPad.... Whew! :)

Strawberry Pearl

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This was extremely helpful for me when I had the same problem with the soft volume slider knob missing. I plugged and unplugged my headphones into the iPad repeatedly, which did not work at first, but then I plugged the iPad into my iMac and plugged/unplugged the headphones and voilà, it worked! Thanks so much for the tips!

Most reactions

Latest posts