What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 shipments

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ahve never understood why any company would under produce items that are clearly going to move units, Sony with the PS3, Microsoft with the Xbox, Nintindo with the Wii, they all know that they are going to sell a ton of them. Evenif they do not sell out in the first run, they will move the units....

Their are primarily two reasons for this. The main one is the company only has so much money for manufacturing while still paying their many workers and leaving enough float for any dire situations. If they want to produce more they have to take on debt (most don't do this). The second is the very real perception that a product in demand does to the populace. Selling out continually puts people in a frenzy of desire for that product, which in the end really does boost sales.

I remember waiting on a Wii that today has seen me play no more then five hours :(

Last edited by a moderator:

mx1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple would never intentionally create a demand and buying frenzy for the products....<wink, wink>

OP
D

Dubebone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, my smart cover just got shipped, but my iPad is still scheduled for April 6th. I just came back from the apple store, they told me that there wasn't a shipment of iPads today, but told me to come back tomorrow morning...

eyeojo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dubebone said:
Well, my smart cover just got shipped, but my iPad is still scheduled for April 6th. I just came back from the apple store, they told me that there wasn't a shipment of iPads today, but told me to come back tomorrow morning...

Why did you go to apple store if you have already ordered online and awaiting shipment? You can't "pick it up" earlier can you??

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has more than 60 billion dollars in cash reserve so it is not about money. I would not trust newspaper reports regarding how many sold only Apple will give correct answer

The one major difference with apple unlike other IT companies is they build to order so there is a stream of products coming into the country all the time from china

What one must understand that retail outlets like best buy etc are restricted on purchasing large numbers because they have to pay usually with in 14 days max for the goods. Apple stores are allocated stick by apple to meet expected dans but do not carry huge quantities Considering they will manufacture more than a million a month under full production I feel they did a fantastic job supplying some where between 500 thousand and 900 thousand on launch. We have to wait in Australia but our market is much smaller and hopefully I can order mine on schedule

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like my iPad has left Hong Kong (latest status is Left Fed Ex Ramp).

From posts on Mac Rumors it will stop in Alaska, then on to the hub in Memphis.

Makes sense given the Thursday estimated delivery. Get to Alaska today, hum in Memphis on Tuesday, to my local Fed Ex center on Wednesday, and out for delivery Thursday.

My smartcover should be here later today.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why did you go to apple store if you have already ordered online and awaiting shipment? You can't "pick it up" earlier can you??

Just trying to get one sooner I'd guess. You can cancel the online order anytime before it hits the prepared for shipping stage. So no harm is checking locally if you have a far off shipping date like that.

OP
D

Dubebone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly, u can cancel your under as long as it is not placed as "prepared for shipment"
besides that, I talked to an apple employee today and she said that there might be arriving a new shipment in the apple store tomorrow. So I'll keep my fingers crossed and go there tomorrow morning.

al210

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mar 14, 2011 10:33 AM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK

Mar 14, 2011 12:43 PM Int'l shipment release ANCHORAGE, AK

32gb White in the States :D

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI for people thinking of ordering now, I just ordered a 64gb white AT&T 3G for a friend. Estimated delivery date is April 14th currently.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine has left Alaska.

Per flight tracking threads, looks like it's on a Fed Ex plane to Memphis that will land overnight tonight.

Maybe I'll end up getting it Wednesday, hard to see it taking until Thursday to get from Memphis to Atlanta. But I'm not going to get my hopes up on that yet!

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
Mine has left Alaska.

Per flight tracking threads, looks like it's on a Fed Ex plane to Memphis that will land overnight tonight.

Maybe I'll end up getting it Wednesday, hard to see it taking until Thursday to get from Memphis to Atlanta. But I'm not going to get my hopes up on that yet!

Mine still says "in transit" at the fed-ex in Hong Kong. I have a estimated delivery of 3/17 so, I'm guessing/hoping it'll probably be that day or Friday. I have my smart cover already.

Kgezella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got lucky. Friday was at mall in Dallas, in line at 7pm when I overheard an employee say only wifi left and I wanted 3G. For grins stopped at Best Buy on Saturday and scored a black Verizon 3G 32. Gave my AT&T iPad 1 to my wife. Damn lucky IMHO.

Trav29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine has left Alaska.

Our iPad's have made the trip together since the beginning lol.

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
Mine has left Alaska.

Our iPad's have made the trip together since the beginning lol.

Mines seems to be slightly behind you guys so, I'll be glad when you get yours because that means mine is not far away.

Most reactions

Latest posts