What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 Not Listed On Windows Explorer & Wife's New Apps Appear On My Ipad

GeneralGeorge212

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new user so my well of knowledge is very limited. I have an older Ipad2 and my wife has a new Ipad Mini. I have two questions.
1. My Ipad does not show up on Windows Explorer when I connect it to my pc via a usb cable. An app I am setting up on my pc says it must be listed on Windows Explorer to work.
2. When my wife add a new app to her Mini it also shows up on my Ipad. Our pc's are connected by a home wireless network. How can I prevent that from happening.
If someone can answer these two questions I would be gratefull.

I think I got this in the wrong catagory huh.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums, the best iPad forum anywhere!

In answer to your second question, you must be sharing the same Apple ID. To stop apps downloaded to your wife's iPad from automatically downloading on your iPad as well, go to Settings>Itunes&App Store and turn off automatic app downloads. This will stop the apps your wife downloads from appearing on your iPad.

I've moved your post to the iPad Help Forum where it will receive more attention.

image-3600749916.jpg

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe an answer to your first question:
If your Camera Roll is empty, it's possible that Windows Explorer won't show it. Take one picture. Then connect your iPad to the pc and look at the explorer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new user so my well of knowledge is very limited. I have an older Ipad2 and my wife has a new Ipad Mini. I have two questions.
1. My Ipad does not show up on Windows Explorer when I connect it to my pc via a usb cable. An app I am setting up on my pc says it must be listed on Windows Explorer to work..........

Hi GeneralGeorge - welcome to the forum! :) The iPad 2 is nearly 3 years old (the one I use - wife also has a Mini) - have you been using this iPad for a while or did you just obtain the device? The reason for my question is if you are indeed 'new' to the iPad is whether you have setup iTunes on your PC, which is the program used on a computer to communicate w/ iDevices? Now if you have iTunes installed and if your iPad is no longer recognized, you may need to reset AMDS (Apple Mobile Device Support) - checkout this Apple Support Article. Last spring I switched from PCs to Apple computers, so my Windows knowledge is fading fast - ;) Dave

OP
G

GeneralGeorge212

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks giradman. The Ipad is showing up on Itunes and seems to function normally there. Therefore I am assuming the pc and itunes is actually talking to the Ipad. Its just odd that I can't see it in Windows Explorer. I did check those things you pointed to and they are working correctly. My initial problem was that I had installed a pc app called Calibre that transfers ebooks from the pc to Ipad, converts formats and things like that. When I try to transfer a book it says it can't communicate with the Ipad. That started me looking. Thanks much for the assistance.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There should be the option in Calibre to send the ebooks to iTunes on your computer. When you sync afterwards, the books should also be synced to your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts