What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 no sound

bakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have searched for a solution but to no avail: all of a sudden all sound vanished from my iPad. I had been watching BBC Iplayer with no problems but when I finished watching something and wanted to view something else all I got was video and no sound. I have tried resetting, switching off the click buttons etc and rebooting and then switching them back on. Sometimes I get clicks when I tap in the security code but then that's it. No clicks when I close the screen. Sometimes I get 'sound alerts' showing when I try the volume control but nothing else. Strangely the alerts in the settings menu work when I sample them. There is no audible alert when I receive an email and no sound on web pages. I have heard that the iPad might think that it's in docking mode. How do I check? Btw it's never been docked with anything other than a power cable. I am on iOS 7. Be grateful for any advice!

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One reason why an iPad doesnt produce any sound is that it fell into the water or you dropped it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I have searched for a solution but to no avail: all of a sudden all sound vanished from my iPad. I had been watching BBC Iplayer with no problems but when I finished watching something and wanted to view something else all I got was video and no sound. I have tried resetting, switching off the click buttons etc and rebooting and then switching them back on. Sometimes I get clicks when I tap in the security code but then that's it. No clicks when I close the screen. Sometimes I get 'sound alerts' showing when I try the volume control but nothing else. Strangely the alerts in the settings menu work when I sample them. There is no audible alert when I receive an email and no sound on web pages. I have heard that the iPad might think that it's in docking mode. How do I check? Btw it's never been docked with anything other than a power cable. I am on iOS 7. Be grateful for any advice!
Try cleaning the connector with a soft brush, do so very cautiously. If there's some dirt or debris, the iPad will think it's connected to a dock.

Also, go to Settings - General - Accessibility and turn off Mono Audio, in case it's enabled.
Just to be sure that your settings are the way you need them: look at Settings - General - Use Side Switch to. What did you choose?

Toggle the side switch and see what will happen.

Also, restart your iPad. Turn it off, wait for a few minutes, turn it on again.
Force close all apps. Sometimes some apps are muting an iPad: double tap Home button to reveal multitask bar, then slide thumbnails above app icons towards the top of the screen.

If all these suggestions don't help, backup your iPad and restore it.

Last edited:
OP
B

bakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the help.
I have force closed all apps and then shut down and rebooted a while later.....so far so good, I do have the sound back....at least for now.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the help.
I have force closed all apps and then shut down and rebooted a while later.....so far so good, I do have the sound back....at least for now.

If the sound is back there is every reason to suppose it is back without that being a future worry for you. Glad your problem was solved.
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts