What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2: no sound when typing, email arrives/sent, etc

airhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm an idiot! I continued my search and just realized that I accidentally turned the mute button on when I slipped my iPad into my thin SFBag sleeve! Ugh. I'm embarrassed! I hope this post might help someone else as dense as me!

Original post below:

It's really weird: my iPad 2 is working fine but just late last night, I noticed that there's no sound when I receive/send mail, wake it from it's sleep, type, etc.

When I play a movie, I can hear the sound perfectly well.

I hope I'm just doing something really stupid and won't have to get a replacement.

PS: yes, I went into settings and I think I've got everything turned ON. Also, I powered down completely but I've still got this problem.

I hope someoneout there will printout a simple solution.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this: Hold down the power button and the home button at the same time. Wait until you see the Apple logo. Let it reboot.

Let us know how that worked for you! Or if not.:)

terryp007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here with iPad 2! Sound of key clicks/slider click gone. iPod works fine, vids fine, settings are fine. All games I've tried have no sound. I've deleted all recently added apps & games. Did the 2 key reset/reboot several times.

UPDATE: problem solved! While on desktop double click home button and go to far left to see if "speaker" button has line thru it -- Done.

Last edited:
OP
A

airhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm glad you weren't as dense as i was! and glad to hear that your solution was an easy one. hopefully, our posts will help someone who faces a similar problem in the future.

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
yes, turning the sound up/down via the volume rocker isnt the only fix. you must also double click the home button, swipe to the left, then turn the main vol up there too.

What is the "speaker button"? When I double click the home button on my iPad2, I get the bottom window opening, which lets me close open apps, but I don't see anything like a speaker button. The only thing I can imagine is swiping to the left while on the desktop where I see a volume control, but mine looks like it's set at mid-range, yet I no longer get the click when I close the smart cover, nor the chime when I plug in power (and I'm missing those sounds). Pls help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
yes, turning the sound up/down via the volume rocker isnt the only fix. you must also double click the home button, swipe to the left, then turn the main vol up there too.

What is the "speaker button"? When I double click the home button on my iPad2, I get the bottom window opening, which lets me close open apps, but I don't see anything like a speaker button. The only thing I can imagine is swiping to the left while on the desktop where I see a volume control, but mine looks like it's set at mid-range, yet I no longer get the click when I close the smart cover, nor the chime when I plug in power (and I'm missing those sounds). Pls help.

Do you have the Mute control activated? On iOS 4.3 and above it's possible to assign the Mute control to either the small slider switch near the volume control or to a 'soft' control that's in the multi-task bar.

Try sliding the switch next to the volume control. One of two things will happen - either this will lock the orientation of the screen (you'll see a lock symbol appear in the top right hand side of the iPad screen) and, if you rotate your iPad the screen orientation will no longer change or it will mute/un-mute system sounds.

If it locks/unlocks the screen orientation, then the mute control has been set to be controlled by the soft button that's in the multi-task bar when you 'flick' the multi-task bar right. You can change the assignment between the two locations - switch or soft control - in the iPad 'Settings' menu.

Tim

Dav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you got the isssue sorted out, that is easily down when removing or Putting iPad into tight sleeve.

OP
A

airhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you got the isssue sorted out, that is easily down when removing or Putting iPad into tight sleeve.

yeah, it was such a simple solution; i was just unaware of the switch being there!

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was it! Thank you. I apparently had the side swnitch set to mute control, and it was 'on'.
Thank you!

OP
A

airhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for that. That fixed it! :)

ha! glad these postings helped ;-) i felt so embarrassed when i finally figured out what was going on! i love my iPad sleeve but it never dawned on me that i'd accidentally turn the volume off! shesh!

enjoy!

Most reactions

Latest posts