What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad2 - no incoming sound alert in face time, skype and "yak"

leolaksi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a friend and i bought our ipad2s yesterday. i transferred my data from my orig ipad with no problems. she set up hers using data from her iphone. however there is no alert for incoming calls on FaceTime, Skype, yak, etc. I don't have that problem. mine works.

she checked her sound settings, notifications. she also rebooted her ipad.

any suggestions?

leo

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
She might have mute on. It only affects alerts and system sounds.

If she has the switch above the volume buttons set to Mute, check that. If it is set to orientation lock, double tap to get the Multitask bar, swipe from left to right, and check the mute button there.

You can check what the switch is set to do under Settings >> General >> Use Side Switch to: Whatever it is not set to do will be found by going to the multitask bar and sliding it to the right.

Playcentric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype incoming call won't Ring

Skype on all my systems (iPad2, HTC, W7, XP) won't ring on oncoming calls. It still displays the call message and call works fine. just no ring sound.

This just happened today on all my systems. I wonder if this is a Skype system wide or ATT broadband issue?

Please help, thanks.

judyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem, we've had the ipad2 for about a month and its worked perfect, but now the sound has gone so we're not being notified of new facetime calls. the sound is on and the mute is off. I don't understand why its been fine all this time and has suddenlt stopped, any help would be appreciated

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you checked the Mute settings mentioned before then try a restart.

Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Also check, under Settings > General > Sounds to make sure you've got the volume turned up and the sound types you want turned on.

Minky28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype FaceTime not ringing when in other apps

If you checked the Mute settings mentioned before then try a restart.

Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Also check, under Settings > General > Sounds to make sure you've got the volume turned up and the sound types you want turned on.

GO to settings then notifications and add Skype to notifications centre. turn everything on

Borlani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to Enable Audio Alerts with "Skype for iPad"; .....

3(b) is the key

iBad SETTINGS...
(1.) General---->Sounds---> (all on)
(2.) Apps ----> Skype---> Notifications --->(Sounds On, Alerts on).
(3.) General---->"use Sliding Switch to:"...
(a) [Lock Rotation] (Alerts only audible IF Headphones are plugged in.) :(
OR
(b) [Mute]...AND Slide Switch itself physically moved to un-mute position (alerts now audible on iBad built-in speaker) :)
yes, even when the iBad goes to sleep of its own accord, or you switch it "off" (assuming you left skype running)

Big Thanks to previous posters for helping me work this out. :thumbs:
I had no idea I would find Skype settings under "Settings" for the iBad itself, it comes up right at the bottom where there is a list of "Apps"
the Advert said :"You already know how to work it" (they were wrong!)

Borlani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't realise that the Slide Switch could be reconfigured from Settings, and suddenly lost the ability to stop my iBad Screen rotating when it felt like it. It took me a while to figure out that during either an update or a restart the iBad had decided to change the function of the slide switch from rotate to mute, and that I could undo this in Settings. This may explain how JudyD suddenly lost Skype audible alerts on speakers - though it may still work on phones.

vitalyki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my case, the explanation was simple and silly. Without realizing what I was doing when moving iPad on the desk, I pressed the Volume button hidden behind the rime at the corner of the device. This does not manifest itself on the screen - or if it does, please tell me where to look for the MUTE sign. I pressed the button, saw the grey speaker icon midscreen, the bar on it was killed, I increased the sound to maximum. Activated Skype - all is well now. These unnoticed fingerings of tiny buttons is really irritating

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most of the cases for the iPad (that cover the back) result in the buttons being slightly recessed, which does a lot to reduce the number of accidental presses.

If it reduces the amount of time or medication you need to un-stress it might be worth the investment. ;)

smily10990

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,my problem to my iPad is it has no speaker.I can hear music and video music.My problem is I can't record the voice on video and
I used FaceTime my friend can't hear me but I can hear them..please help me what is wrong...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I admit to being stumped on that one. I've never found any controls for the microphone. It works, or it doesn't.

You have three types of microphone input. The external one is at the top edge of the iPad, centered between the power button and earphone jack. The earphone jack can support an external microphone with a standard four conductor jack. If you have a set of Apple headphones with the mic built in, or another compatible set give them a try and see if they work when the external mic does not. It is also possible to connect a microphone through the dock port, and a few manufactures do make compatible mics.

Other than that all I can recommend is a restart and or reset, if you haven't already tried them. And if that does not work contact Apple. If you have an iPad 2 it pretty much still has to be under hardware warrantee, and if the microphone does not work (and there is no sign of accidental damage), they should replace it for free.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Most reactions

Latest posts