What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 Movies downloading

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In most cases you will load movies onto your iPad from inside iTunes. These can be bought from Apple with thier FairPlay DRM, or you can buy them from other sources and if they are not formatted for the iPad iTunes should be able to make converted copies of your (unless they are also DRM protected to prevent recopy).

Personally I have a large collection of DVDs I have amassed over the years and have begun making personal backup copies (which happen to be iPad formatted).

I guess the answer to your question would be... You get video the same places you get it for Windows. You just need to be sure the format is iPad/iTunes compatible.

You could also subscribe to any number of video streaming services such as Hulu or Netflix. Slingplayer also has an App that will receive video from your Slingbox set-top DVR.

(Do people really think the Mac/Apple world is that different?)

Last edited:

T&C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google any iPhone movie download some pay some free. Get a DVD burn it to your computer, then transfer it to iTunes and sync!

Works great with red box on a trip send $5 and you have great movies and such a clear picture and battery life is great.

West cost to NYC and still have battery left,

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Red Box movie rental? You realize that at least by US law those are not your personal copies and you have no grounds to make "backups". If you did by accident I trust you deleated the copies when the rental period is over. :p;)

OP
S

SurGreg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Itunes wont let me download movies from their store. Thats only in the US and Germany. Sadly I am in neither of those. Same goes for Netflix and Hulu. Region based legal bs.

Will regular mp4s in iTunes sync up with my iPad?

What about downloads directly to the iPad without syncing? Any way for that?

Thanks for the replies keep em comming.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should. If not try changing the file extension to .M4V which is what Apple video playing apps like go see.

If that still doesn't get them to play there should be a menu option to "convert video to iPad", which should make an M4V copy with the correct aspect ratio and other encoding bits that will make it play nice with the iPads picky engine.

You can manually mange your iPads content. On the Summery (1st tab) of your iPad in iTunes is a check box that says " manually mange" this allows you to drag and drop content as you wish from your iTunes library into the iPad without syncing.

You can also use a number of 3rd party iPad apps such as GoodReader or FileBrowser and load movies into them and play them using the iPads video engine. You can even do so wirelessly. I know GoodReader can open/download files direcy from the internet if you give it the URL, something the native Apple built apps normally can't.

Last edited:
OP
S

SurGreg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice i'm gonna try goodreader..flight is delayed and have 6 hours to kill..god i already love this thing.

Thanks for the reply

DLCrouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or just stream them them from Netflix - 7.99 a month.

OP
S

SurGreg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix only in the states ;) my travelschedule includes mutiple banana republics a year for a few months in a row. So 64GB wifi only if im lucky |:)

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if it is ok to post this but potable pirates have free mp4 movies. It works great without having to convert them. It is simple. If I should not be posting this please let me know. You can google them to see a YouTube video about the whole process. I did it and have no experience with movies.

OP
S

SurGreg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah got in on the portable pirates they have a shitload of movies. Pnly have trouble downloading then. Fileserver or megaupload links. I post them in the browser but dont really know whats happening.

Any good apps for downloading links like this?

Reaction score
SurGreg said:
Yeah got in on the ************** they have a shitload of movies. Only have trouble downloading then. Fileserver or megaupload links. I post them in the browser but dont really know whats happening.

Any good apps for downloading links like this?

Yep. iTunes has loads of movies and they download directly onto your iPad.

Any discussion on how to download commercial movies for free, means you are downloading said movies illegally and should thus not be part of this forum.

That said, while Safari's downloading capabilities are limited, other browsers, such as Atomic browser let you download files, regardless of the file format.

Most reactions

Latest posts