What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 Home Button unresponsive

Rgrsmbl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Returning to Apple Store

I purchased my iPad2 from an online retailer, and I am just wondering if I should have a defective condition can it be returned through a local AT&T store or must I go through the online retailer from which I purchased?

Artur Szczur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rgrsmbl said:
I purchased my iPad2 from an online retailer, and I am just wondering if I should have a defective condition can it be returned through a local AT&T store or must I go through the online retailer from which I purchased?

The same dilemma here. Have had my iPad2 for about 2 months now and recently noticed my home button does not always work, very disturbing. I have also bought mine from a retailer and don't know whether they accept a product at the Apple Store or should I rather try to solve the issue with the store I bought it at.

Besides that I really don't know if this should be a real problem when the new iOS comes out and the multitasking gestures are released for all of us to use. But nonetheless, the sole thought of any flaw in the device disturbes me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Artur Szczur said:
The same dilemma here. Have had my iPad2 for about 2 months now and recently noticed my home button does not always work, very disturbing. I have also bought mine from a retailer and don't know whether they accept a product at the Apple Store or should I rather try to solve the issue with the store I bought it at.

Besides that I really don't know if this should be a real problem when the new iOS comes out and the multitasking gestures are released for all of us to use. But nonetheless, the sole thought of any flaw in the device disturbes me.

I would try an Apple store in the first instance......reports on here are generally better with Apple stores than third party vendors (but some retailers do offer great service.......before I get flamed!).

The Archangel

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Artur Szczur said:

Do you leave many programs open? When you run into that problem close all the open programs and see if that helps.

Artur Szczur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I haven't actually paid to much attention to the applications being open or not before, but I never run to many of them at the same time. Somewhere on the net someone wrote that it may be caused by an app taking up to much of the memory. I will see if it works the next time, hope it won't happen though. :)

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I both have an iPad 2. Mine is a 64 GB my wife's is a 32 GB model. Her home button is very unresponsive to the point that I think I'm taking it in to the Apple store for service.

Artur Szczur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have got an update. My iPad has been restored and the button seemed to work alright until today morning. I followed your advice and closed all the apps but it didn't help at all. Then I restarted the device and the button still malfunctioned a bit so I dumped the device and angrily went to eat something. Came back some time ago and it seems to work perfectly... I am almost completely sure it is a hardware issue but sending the device somewhere is quite pointless at this point since it only behaves like that from time to time... Don't know what to think of it. I'm actually waiting for the iOS 5 very anxiously.

greenappleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Home Button Irregularity

I recently started experiencing an issue with the Home button on my iPad 2. Occasionally, pressing it will do nothing. So I press it again -- sometimes upwards of 4 or 5 presses before it finally responds. I'm not mashing the button and am certain that each press is an appropriate amount of force (I proudly own an iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, iPad 1 and now iPad 2, so I'm confident about how much force to press these Home buttons).
I tried power cycling the iPad 2, but that didn't help. I closed all running applications. At first, that seemed to work. For several hours, the Home button was perfectly responsive.
But alas, here I am this evening, again frustrated with the non-responsive Home button. At times, I can't even turn on my iPad since the button won't respond for several seconds.

Again, this is occurring whether I'm using my configuration (latest IOS version) or even with the factory default setting.

Could really use some help or advice. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Micheal

I just started experiencing the same issue with my iPad 1. Called an independent technician who said he would do a free diagnostic and if button needed replaced it would run $80 bucks to fix. He also said it's a very common issue so I thought it best to look it up online to see if other users had found a solution. I'm hoping it is just a software related issue so have seemed to have got working better again by doing the 2 following procedures. First I double pressed the home button to access the background apps and then held the home button long enough so that I could delete the background apps. I had once read somewhere that you should do this every so often as they use up memory. I had a ton to remove, many apps that I only occasionally use. I then did the reboot and am working better so far. See if that helps and report back what results you get.

Most reactions

Latest posts