What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 display seems a bit fuzzy vs iPad1?

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my new Ipad2 today. The display seems fuzzier than my original ipad which surprises me. The fonts seem less sharp, overall the display seems less crisp all around. Are others seeing this too?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not seen any reports about this. Some members have reported on a difference in the brightness of the display, though. Are you comparing side-by-side? As you know, the two displays offer exactly the same resolution and pixel density, so it's difficult to know what could cause this effect but I wonder if a difference in brightness could make the two appear to have a different resolution?

Tim
Scotland

OP
W

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, my ipad1 is gone so can't compare. I'll try to check with a friend's. Just seems noticable to me.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought the same thing...I still have both and going to do some testing later...one thing i did notice is the ipad 2 has a warmer tint and is alittle brighter.

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a sideby side comparo. In terms of Sharpness (fuzzy vs non fuzzy) they were equals. But the iPad 2 is definitely brighter and had slightly colder colors.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SporkLover said:
I did a sideby side comparo. In terms of Sharpness (fuzzy vs non fuzzy) they were equals. But the iPad 2 is definitely brighter and had slightly colder colors.

Hmmm...I wonder if it's just getting lucky with led's...The pics i seen on youtube show a cooler tint but my ipad 2 has a warmer tint.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple uses a lesser quality display on their wifi only models. Anandtech did a pretty comprehensive rundown covering this. The 3g models are about 14% brighter if I remember reading correctly and have better overall blacks and contrast.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
Apple uses a lesser quality display on their wifi only models. Anandtech did a pretty comprehensive rundown covering this. The 3g models are about 14% brighter if I remember reading correctly and have better overall blacks and contrast.

Interesting.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Reaction score
Anandtech tested 2 wifi and 2 3g iPad 2's.

So while the results where consistent for their 4 models, it may not hold true for all iPad's and it is not entirely clear, whether these display differences only existed in the early batch, or if Apple will continue selling wifi models with a lower brightness.

But it is strange either way, as Apple sells the wifi and wifi+3g iPad's as identical, except for the 3g antenna.

Here is the link:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4225/the-ipad-2-review/12

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:

So while the results where consistent for their 4 models, it may not hold true for all iPad's and it is not entirely clear, whether these display differences only existed in the early batch, or if Apple will continue selling wifi models with a lower brightness.

But it is strange either way, as Apple sells the wifi and wifi+3g iPad's as identical, except for the 3g antenna.

Here is the link:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4225/the-ipad-2-review/12

Well that sux...I have a wifi unit and don't find this fair at all...Wonder if it's just early batch or this is the way it is....Maybe i should return mine towards the 30day return policy and hope for a brighter one! Mine seems to be slightly brighter than my 1 but don't want to be short changed cause i don't need 3g:(

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:

Here is the link:
The Apple iPad 2 Review - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Well that sux...I have a wifi unit and don't find this fair at all...Wonder if it's just early batch or this is the way it is....Maybe i should return mine towards the 30day return policy and hope for a brighter one! Mine seems to be slightly brighter than my 1 but don't want to be short changed cause i don't need 3g:(

Its actually a pretty good strategy from Apple. They know that most reviewers are going to just get the 3g one so that they can review all aspects of the new iPad, so they use slightly better quality displays in them. Also, they gotta cut corners somewhere to hit that $499 price point, so using a slightly lower quality screen probably saved them a few dollars per unit.

Obviously to prove this, its gotta be tested on a much larger scale, but I doubt anyone cares enough to do that.

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I also compared side by side. Sharpness was identical, as were viewing angles. Colours were very similar but at lowest brightness up to 50%, the iPad 2 was less bright than the 1st gen. The iPad 2 was also warmer looking with a yellow tint. At full brightness, both seem equal and white level was almost the same - the iPad 2 was still slightly yellow though.
The biggest issue is the whites & greys appear with a yellow cast but other colours look warmer and still fine. this may be a symptom from one of the screen suppliers.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not seen any reports about this. Some members have reported on a difference in the brightness of the display, though. Are you comparing side-by-side? As you know, the two displays offer exactly the same resolution and pixel density, so it's difficult to know what could cause this effect but I wonder if a difference in brightness could make the two appear to have a different resolution?

Tim
Scotland

I don't have an Ipad 1 but I do have an Ipod Touch 2G and Iphone 3GS and I noticed the brightness in my Ipad 2 was low and had to turn it up.
Perhaps Apple set it low to get the 10 hour charge?

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both versions

At least until I box up the iPad and send it to daughter #1. My iPad2's screen/resolution/clarity appear the same as that on my iPad. Have the same dozen movies and 900 plus photos on each and the same apps as well. The same appearance.

Most reactions

Latest posts