What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad2 coming tomorrow

MerkinMuffley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tracking shows it is close, and supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Having never used one, I'm wondering what has to be done after opening the box and charging it. Are instructions included with this thing?
Does it require accounts to be created?
How do I transfer my ITunes music from my IMac to the IPad?
Is setting up WI-FI network access similar to what is done on an Airbook?
I don't think the App store I see from my IMac is the one I use, I've read ITunes has the apps for the IPad? Is this correct?
EMail - I use Gmail. I was told by an Apple store guy that the IPad has an email app on it, and it will suck mail from Gmail into this app. Is this true? and if it is, where can I find instructions on how to set it up?

I got the 64gb version, I'm a photographer and want to use it to quickly cull photographs from a shooting session. I don't find the screen on the back of my Canon cameras adequate for this and wanted a bigger screen, hence the IPad. I've been using one of the 2010 13 inch Airbooks for this, but if I can make it work (and email, browsing, etc) with the IPad it's a smaller package to carry and that's a good thing given all the gear I already have to haul around to do my job.

thanks for any help....

overthetop75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plug your ipad into your mac.
itunes will detect the ipad
move through the tabs to select what you want to sync to the ipad. There are tabs for music, videos, apps etc..
When finished syncing the ipad go to settings on the ipad which is a gray icon with a gear on it.
Select wi-fi and select your network and put in your password

Now for gmail stay in settings and select mail and contacts
select add account
select gmail and put in your gmail info.

back on itunes under info you can set to sink your contacts to gmail if that is where you have your contacts.

Also one last thing the owners manual is a bookmark in safari

fisk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Merkin, glad to hear yours shipped. When did you order it? Did you get online the minute they were available? Or wait a while? We ordered ours at 7am ET (four hours after they opened it up) and we're still waiting for it to ship.

OP
M

MerkinMuffley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for all the help - that'll will get me going. I didn't know there was a manual. Thanks for taking time to help me, it's appreciated.

@Fisk - I got a call from my son who was ordering one too (he's written a very successful selling Android app - #8 last time I looked - and because of the mess with the Google app store is shifting to the IPad) about 12:45am Sunday night that the store was open and accepting orders, it opened a bit earlier than the stated 1am. Placed the order right away.

Just looked at the tracking, it's out for delivery - a day early. I was going to go for a bike ride, now I'll hang around and wait for it. Camera kit/cover is still sitting in HK, but I don't need them immediately.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A good starter app is Appstart, it gives you lists with reviews for apps in different categories plus lots of tips and tricks for using your new iPad.

The Archangel

OP
M

MerkinMuffley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It arrived this afternoon. Set up wasn't too bad, had a problem with too many systems being authorized for ITunes (limit is 5 - why?), but once I got that fixed I've got mail/contacts/calendars being shared with Google/Gmail; some apps loaded, music on it, a test batch of photos moved over, a few videos to see how they look (great), etc, etc.

Pretty nice little gizmo. I'm pretty happy with it.

overthetop75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are very welcome and glad you are happy with it. If you are happy now give it a few weeks and you won't know how you lived without it. They limit you to 5 computers for license reasons. They need to stop somewhere or people would share paid itunes content too much. If you no longer have some of the devices you can have them reset your authorized computer list and then re authorize the machines you still use. I think you can only have them do this 1 time per year. Enjoy your new ipad.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
overthetop75 said:
You are very welcome and glad you are happy with it. If you are happy now give it a few weeks and you won't know how you lived without it. They limit you to 5 computers for license reasons. They need to stop somewhere or people would share paid itunes content too much. If you no longer have some of the devices you can have them reset your authorized computer list and then re authorize the machines you still use. I think you can only have them do this 1 time per year. Enjoy your new ipad.

Not entirely sure this is correct, I have authorised and deauthorised directly on my Mac, I didn't need anyone else to reset it for me. I'm not certain about the limit of once per year either but happy to stand corrected on this.

Yes, just checked, it's under the store tab in iTunes.

The Archangel

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MerkinMuffley said:
I believe it you can only flush them all and start over once a year; I just went thru that process.

Correct, if you deauthorise all accounts that can only be done once a year but there is no need to do this if you still have all the devices, just deauthorise one device (iTunes/Store/Deauthorize) which is unlimited.

The Archangel

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPad forums and hope you'll enjoy your future iPad 2!!!

Most reactions