What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 charging

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Zitdoc2 said:
Does it matter whether you charge with iPad on or off?
Thx

charging whilst on will take longer than charging whilst off

i charge mine whilst on, too lazy to turn off and on :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does it matter whether you charge with iPad on or off?
Thx

It makes no difference at all. Obviously it will take longer to charge with the iPad switched on because the iPad itself will be consuming some of the output of the charger but, other than that, it doesn't matter.

You can leave the iPad continuously connected to the charger too, the charge control electronics in the iPad is very sophisticated and it carefully controls the charging current paying attention to how charged the battery already is.

So, no need to be concerned, enjoy your iPad....

Tim

manitou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to this article:

Charging lithium-ion batteries – Battery University

you should charge with the iPad turned off...

A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

I usually do turn my iPad off since I'm usually charging at night while I'm sleeping.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Been charging my iPad1 whilst on over the past year and haven't noticed any degradation in performance. Still runs for ten hours.

manitou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have too many things that are always on. Makes me feel good to actually turn one off whenever I can. :)

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I know the answer, but: my iPad 2 takes so long to charge. My iPhone charges very fast but the Pad takes hours. I'm guessing this is because of the very large battery capacity?

Also, how often should I run it down before charging? If I want drain the battery how low should it go before charging? Last full charge I took it to 3% before charging.

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, Wytey. I'll be in your fine city in five weeks. Look for me. I'll be the guy walking around with an iPad 2 under my arm.

TMWeddle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
rustymailbox.blogspot.com
If I turn my iPad2 off and then plug it in to charge it automatically turns on so I thought it didn't matter, but then I tried plugging it in to charge and THEN turning it off and it stayed off. I assume it continues to charge. The length of time to charge doesn't concern me too much as I charge it at night and a full charge lasts all day.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would look at having the iPad turned on while plugged in more as running under under external power rather than charging. Even with the long battery life, it would probably be needed for extended GPS/navigation use, for example.

Then, at bed time, turn it on and plug it in for charging. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts