What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 - Charging in car

Peter_Izn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am expecting delivery of a iPad 2 wifi+3g early next week. :eek:
What amount of power is needed to charge using iPod input to the music system?
I own a Powergorilla power pack system (with mains and solar charging), with a usb output, so I should be able to use this, if the Volvo idea does not work.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad normally takes 2.1 A to charge at the fastest rate. But, of course, it will charge at lower currents, but will take longer. When the current is quite low the iPad displays 'Not charging' to alert you to this fact though it is, in reality, charging slowly (if the iPad is switched off).

Tim

OP
P

Peter_Izn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again
I have found the answer on the Powergorilla website. They sell an iPad adaptor which I have ordered. They state that the USB adapter on the Powergorilla should not be used as it does not put out the 2.1 required by iPads. Using Powergorilla, is set to 8.4 volts, (it adjustable), charging takes 2.5 hours. iPads can also be charged using there solar panel. So a handy accessory, I used mine to run a netbook in a no electricity area in Costa Rica last January using the solar pack.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know. Good to hear that you're able to use your iPad successfully!!

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts